Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
    GB1

Best graduated ND filters?

Hi,

I need a good graduated neutral density (ND) filter. I already use a Cokin system, so prefer to stay with square-shaped filters, but Cokin's seem a little crude to me, not even denoting their light blocking values. I might need a range of filters, e.g. -1, -2, -3 etc

Any suggestions would be welcome!

Never used them myself, but these are supposed to be the best: http://www.singh-ray.com/grndgrads.html

They do fit into a Cokin "P" series holder.

GB1
    Thanks! I've heard of these things - they're supposedly very high quality. I checked a few places around town, no one stocks them. So looks like I'll have to get it via mail order.

These are the best

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Never used them myself, but these are supposed to be the best: http://www.singh-ray.com/grndgrads.html

They do fit into a Cokin "P" series holder.
    I have a full set of 2 and 3 stop grad and hard stop filters, plus the Polarizer. I bought them online through Singh Ray and received the filters in less than a week. They are great because they are longer than other similar filters like Hi-Tech, etc.

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

As others have said, Singh-Ray is reputedly the best. Singh-Ray is, however, very expensive. You need to decide if the price is worth it based on your needs and your shooting habits. I decided that I don't need to pay Singh-Ray prices for my kind of shooting and decided to use gaduated ND's made by HiTech. Not every vendor carries them but I've had good luck at B&H and The Filter Connection (www.2filter.com).

Thread Information