Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Amateur considering a new lense

For a while now I have been considering getting the Canon EF-S 17-85 IS lense for my Rebel XT. I see B&H Photo has it for $515. I also noticed that they have a EF-S 18-55 IS lense for $170 and a EF-S 55-250 IS lense for $280. I can get the second two lenses for less than I can get the first lense I mentioned. Why is that and what should I do? I do mostly photography of my friends and family. My current lense is a Canon 28-135.

Lightbulb Re: Amateur considering a new lense

First of all, the 17-85mm costs more because it has a higher zoom ratio, and is also of a better quality than the other two, which can be described as “kit lenses”.

The best lens? This depends on several factors.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    So before I can help you further, take a moment to consider the following points:

~Do you mind changing lenses often? If not, then a “super-zoom” might be a good alternative.
    ~What would you want to photograph most with the new lens?

#1. Indoor/scenics/wide vistas.
    #2. Birds/wildlife/sports.
    #3. Macro/extreme close-ups/insects.
    #4. Portraits/people pictures.
    #5. Other subjects?

~Finally, set up a budget.

Re: Amateur considering a new lense

At this point I don't have the time to devote to really get into photography. Because of this I mostly use my Rebel XT for pictures of family and friends inside and outside of the house. I don't want to be changing my lense much at all. The $515 for the 17-85 lense is at about my limit at this point. I know going to the L series lenses would give me a much better picture but I just don't have that kind of money budgetted. It almost sounds like I answered my own question. I should probably get the 17-85 IS lense because of the quality and the overall range of zoom in one lense.

The Canon 17-85mm IS should be a good choice then. With the Rebel XTs CF applied, it has enough zoom to go from wide-angle and through the entire “portrait range”. Also, this lens has an optical stabilizer to help prevent “camera shake”.

You’ll also have a slightly less heavier load to carry, than with the 28-135mm.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

What's the closest Canon equivalent to the nikon 18-200vr.?
    Whatever it is that would give you a lot of range. I think 17-85 is rather limited for your needs and that you'll find yourself using a larger zoom more often.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Oooh! A Canon 18-200 w/ IS would be cool. Even better if I can get it @ f/2.8. Is there such an animal? I would get rid of all my other lenses if there is!

Thread Information