Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
    Just me and my camera

Question adding photos to a CD question

hi everyone,
    tonight I was copying my lastest images onto my CD. It said before I copied my new batch of photos that if the files had the same name as existing files (on my CD) then the old files would be erased. I didn't know exactly what that meant, I figured it was the IMG_ number associated with each photo. And I checked them and they were not the same. So, I copied my lastest pics. When I inserted my CD to view it as a slideshow on my computer, my old photos did not display. So, then I checked what files are on the CD and my computer says my old and new photos are on there (I clicked on them and they appeared). So, I'm a little confused as to if my old files were erased or not. I'm guessing there is a way to add photos on a CD with existing photos, but I'm not sure if I did it right. Thanks for any help you can give me.
    "You put your camera around your neck along with putting on your shoes, and there it is, an appendage of the body that shares your life with you."--Dorothea Lange

Re: adding photos to a CD question

I would guess it was because the disc was written in 2 sessions. I know that a lot of times a disc will allow you to continue to write to it but has issues seeing both sessions. The only thing that I can suggest is to copy them to a folder on your computer and put them on a new cd. With the cost of cd's now being so cheap that is what i would do.
    -Shawn
    www.tpsphotos.com

Canon EOS 6d w/Battery Grip
    Canon EOS 620
    Canon EOS Rebel G
    Canon EOS Rebel XS
    Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
    Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
    Canon EF-S 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS
    Canon EF 25-80mm f4-5.6 III
    Canon EF 70-210mm f4
    Canon 35-70 f3.5-4.5
    Canon Lens EF 50mm f1.8
    Promaster FTD 6500M
    Canon Speedlite 420ex
    Yongnuo Speedlite YN560-II

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Or finalise the disc.
    CDs are so cheap today that I don't use multi-session any more.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Just me and my camera

thanks for the replies.
    "You put your camera around your neck along with putting on your shoes, and there it is, an appendage of the body that shares your life with you."--Dorothea Lange

First off you need to know unless you put you photos in sub directories you will only be able to save only 512 files. A Note some of your photos were over written all you need is one file named the same to have that message pop up.

Just remember not to use the same sub directory names. What I name my sub directory year-month-day example 2009-03-20 and that way they auto sort and the photos are easy to find
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thread Information