Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Adapting an old flash to a new digital camera

I have a 25 year old Minolta Auto 28 flash that works great with my 25 year old Nikon FG using the hot-shoe. I just bought a Canon SX10 that has a hot-shoe but the Minolta flash only works sporadically on it; without any kind of consistency. I've tried all sorts of camera settings running the gamut from auto to manual. Is there some way to adapt the two?

Re: Adapting an old flash to a new digital camera

Read the Canon SX10 manual. The trigger voltage on the Minolta flash is between 200 volt to 400 volt DC. Many of the new Digital cameras use transistors to trigger the flash and may not work with the high voltage and high current pulse needed to trigger the flash unit. At the worst you can damage or destroy the trigger transistor inside the camera. The Nikon FG has a mechanical switch and was designed for this service and flash bubs (30 volt high current)
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Assuming what freygr posted about the voltage is correct (and I'm confident it is since most old flashes were that way), you are exceptionally lucky to have not destroyed your camera already. Canon recommends a maximum of 6 volts for flashes on their current digital cameras. Obviously, you should quit using that flash immediately. Get a modern unit; most aren't too hard on the wallet.
    Brad

Canon: Rebel XTi, 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8 II, Promaster 19-35mm F/3.5-4.5, Peleng 8mm fisheye
    Lighting: Canon 430 EXII, Quantaray PZ-1 DSZ, Sunpak 333D, D-8P triggers
    120 Film: Ricohflex Diacord TLR, Firstflex TLR, Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2 folder
    35mm Film: Nikon Nikkormat FT2, 35mm F/2.8, 50mm F/1.4, 135mm F/2.8

My Blog
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/bradleymiller

Thanks for the good advice. Fortunately my new camera is still functioning OK and does not appear to be damaged. I could not find anything Canon user guide about the dangers of using a non-Canon flash ... just that it might not work.

:aureola: Wow, sure glad I read this post responses as I was going to slap my Pentax AF280T flash unit from my Pentax Super Program 35mm camera on my new Canon XSi. The possibility of frying the XSi would have driven me bonkers. Let there be light, but not this light. lol

Hello,
    if you want adapting an old flash for SLR camera, it is very easy.
    A little electronic adaptor of 6 components is necessary, and can be integrated in the old silver flash. The cost is 3 Dollars. I have mahe this for 2 flash and i use it for my studio.
    I explain all, with shematic and explaination on my website at : http://rienquepourlesyeux.free.fr

trigger happy geriatric.

It does vary. both my T20 and Ts3 Olympus flash guns work perfectly on my Olympus E510.

But I would crtainly be careful of other makes and types.

I have an old bracket flash with a high output that i use, but i use a trigger sensor with that and use my built in flash as a trigger device for the Metz.

Dave

This site lists strobes with their trigger voltages. Hope this helps.

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

Phil

Thread Information