Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Question Beginner needs help!

I am very new to photography and I'm having some trouble choosing a camera. I've narrowed my choices down to the Canon Rebel Ti, Nikon N75, and the Minolta Maxxum 5. I have a vacation next month in the Carribean and I'd like to be familar with the camera I choose by then. I plan on using the camera for many types of shots, so versatility is a must. So, any advice would be greatly appreciated . Thanks you. Junior7

Smile Hello Junior 7

Quote Originally Posted by Junior7
    I am very new to photography and I'm having some trouble choosing a camera. I've narrowed my choices down to the Canon Rebel Ti, Nikon N75, and the Minolta Maxxum 5. I have a vacation next month in the Carribean and I'd like to be familar with the camera I choose by then. I plan on using the camera for many types of shots, so versatility is a must. So, any advice would be greatly appreciated . Thanks you. Junior7
    Welcome to PR and all that goes with it! I mean that in the best kind of way. This place is a wealth of knowledge and experience.

As for your camera choices...

Whether you go film or digital is a decision you have to make. Consider what you intend to use the camera for. How much control do you want? How much are you willing to spend?

While I am a film shooter (primarily), digitial does have it's advantages. And disadvantages. Most of the compact digitals today are very capable cameras. But they also limit your control. Digital SLR's have all the advantages of film SLR's, but cost considerably more. While the savings in film and developing will offset that over time, it is a substantial investment (for some of us). Digital also has the advantage of instant feedback. You can take a shot, and seconds later see if it is what you wanted, or if you need to make exposure changes and reshoot.

As for the particular camera you buy, I would find one that "fit" me. Literally and figurtively. Does it fit your hand well? Can you easily reach the controls? Does the layout of the controls seem logical to you? Does the camera have the capabilities/controls you want? While ergonomics are an important factor to me, others may not think so.

It is as true today as it ever was - it's the person behind the camera that matters. Some one who knows how to use a K1000 will outperform a novice with a top of the line, auto-everything, pro level camera. If a Minolta suits you, go with it. If you like the Canon, go with it. If you opt for the Nikon, then I would give serious thought to going with a N80 instead of the N75. If you can afford it, you will find it a more capable and flexible camera IMHO. If your budget won't allow you to get the N80, then the N75 is basically a budget level N80, with many - though not all - of the same features.

I'm not avoiding giving you a straight answer. I'm trying to give you an honest one. I could easily say "Buy the Nikon", but that's MY preference, and it may not meet YOUR needs. Hope I've provided some help. Let us know what you get.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

GB1
    Junior - I think all of the cameras you mentioned are fine, the Rebel being an excellant camera for begineers and mid-level photographers. Concerning a film vs.digital camera decision, I would approach it like this: if you're a pretty serious or at least a competent computer person, consider digital. If not, go with film.

GB

Thread Information