Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

70-200 Tripod Ring Finished

Finished the ring last night(it was a slow night at work). Took me about 2.5 hours to do. And 10$ in material. Works well, rotates nicely and clamps solid. Weighs 152grams. Its pretty too!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Re: 70-200 Tripod Ring Finished

Looks nice!

Yeah, nice work! Sorry I don't have a need for one, I'm a brand "N" shooter but some of their lenses don't have the greatest tripod collars. For that reason, Kirk Enterprises has come out with some options. Check out what they've got (and what they charge!).

learning member

Lightbulb Re: 70-200 Tripod Ring Finished

PhotoGimp, Hey, that is nice work crafty man. Purdy too. I was wondering why somebody doesent make some sort of collar for teleconverters or extension tubes. I was thinking of making something crude out of wood. Seems like sombody could make somthing out of plastik in various sizes. Patent idea? again good work,
    Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by mdmc
    PhotoGimp, Hey, that is nice work crafty man. Purdy too. I was wondering why somebody doesent make some sort of collar for teleconverters or extension tubes. I was thinking of making something crude out of wood. Seems like sombody could make somthing out of plastik in various sizes. Patent idea? again good work,
    Mark.
    This is something I could look into. If you have precise measurements of outside diameter of the tele or ext.tube, or at least let me know which one it is, I could make up just about anything. Maybe its worth it getting into making various ones for standard lenses and the like.

learning member

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoGimp
    This is something I could look into. If you have precise measurements of outside diameter of the tele or ext.tube, or at least let me know which one it is, I could make up just about anything. Maybe its worth it getting into making various ones for standard lenses and the like.
    thank you.
    i'll get back with you soon
    mark.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoGimp
    Finished the ring last night(it was a slow night at work). Took me about 2.5 hours to do. And 10$ in material. Works well, rotates nicely and clamps solid. Weighs 152grams. Its pretty too!

wow. That looks really nice. Could you make me one for my Sigma 2.8 70-200?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryguyinlj
    wow. That looks really nice. Could you make me one for my Sigma 2.8 70-200?
    I thought they came with collars, any who, yeah, my local shop has a few in stock, I could just go measure the diameter of the barrel. email me jgimp69@hotmail.com

That looks very well made.
    You should start a little biz selling those(looks like you are).
    There's a place in the UK which does made-to-order collars and yours are just as nice or nicer.
    I always wanted one for my Canon 200 2.8 and 2x ext.(sold alas).
    Just one little niggle, hope you don't mind. I'd like it even better if the mounting plate was more of a rectangle than a triangle. Would give more of a sense of sturdiness on the tripod. For all I know it works perfectly like that. Maybe just an aesthetic thing to me.
    Nice work.
    Jon

"shoot wide, shoot close"

Quote Originally Posted by JK_Photo
    That looks very well made.
    You should start a little biz selling those(looks like you are).
    There's a place in the UK which does made-to-order collars and yours are just as nice or nicer.
    I always wanted one for my Canon 200 2.8 and 2x ext.(sold alas).
    Just one little niggle, hope you don't mind. I'd like it even better if the mounting plate was more of a rectangle than a triangle. Would give more of a sense of sturdiness on the tripod. For all I know it works perfectly like that. Maybe just an aesthetic thing to me.
    Nice work.
    Actually, you are right. When I made this, i forgot to take my pod into work with me to try. I initially made it this size to keep weight down, but realized that there is not enouth surface area, so i am making a new pad that is much wider and longer, but about half the thickness. AND I am open to making collars, or adapters(I made an FD to EOS), and custom extension tubes(I have one that is about 40mm, want to make one that is 50mm to use with my 50 1.8mk1.

Mine arrived in the mail today and it's working well. Thanks!

Talking Re: 70-200 Tripod Ring Finished

Quote Originally Posted by Arctirus
    Mine arrived in the mail today and it's working well. Thanks!

The ring looks super. By the sound of it you are taking orders. Could I get a quote on a ring for my 70-200 F4L ?

Thanks,

John

I want one! Got any lying around that can make it to San Diego before next Thursday the 23rd?

Quote Originally Posted by jpbuse
    I want one! Got any lying around that can make it to San Diego before next Thursday the 23rd?
    Yeah, email me jgimp69@hotmail.com
    Better email soon, I'm going to northern ontario for holidays on saturday

Very nice, I am also interested in a quote if you don't mind. I will send you a PM.

shake it like a polaroid picture berrywise's Avatar

Hey wow that looks really nice. Like others have stated that might not be a bad way to earn a few extra dollars to support your photography purchases. If I ever break the one that is on my 70-200 I'll look you up.

Just curious but what have you been charging? Private message me if you'd like.

Thread Information