Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

5x7 photo resolution

What resolution should a picture be to be printed on a 5x7 piece of photo paper?
    Nikon D50
    Nikkor 28mm-80mm f/3.3-5.6
    Quantaray 70mm-300mm f/4.0-5.6
    Quantaray 58mm Circular Polarizer, Diffuser, UV Haze Filters

Re: 5x7 photo resolution

I usually make prints of 8x12 and smaller at 300dpi. You may get by just fine with less depending on the shot, but aren't likely to see much difference at a higher resolution.

I mean like 1600x1200 for example. When I print pictures, the software doesn't re-size them. I'm wondering what the actual like resolution of a 5x7 print would be.
    Nikon D50
    Nikkor 28mm-80mm f/3.3-5.6
    Quantaray 70mm-300mm f/4.0-5.6
    Quantaray 58mm Circular Polarizer, Diffuser, UV Haze Filters

If you're starting with 1600x1200 and printing at 300dpi, you'll wind up with a print that's 5.3" x 4". Starting with the same pixel dimensions, a 5x7 print would be about 228dpi. You'll have to crop a little bit because 1600x1200 isn't the same proportion as 5x7, just like you would printing a 5x7 or 8x10 from a 35mm negative.

I'd say that 228dpi would be fine in most cases. Give it a shot and let us know how it looks. You will probably see a little more detail at 300dpi, but how much of a difference you'll see will depend on how detailed the image itself is. I've seen great prints at a lower resolution than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Proctor
    What resolution should a picture be to be printed on a 5x7 piece of photo paper?
    I would just crop and print. The smaller sized prints the higher resolutions will help and the prints really do get eye balled. Just make sure the image is in focus and good exposure. Reducing the image size to print doesn't make any sense but it is more work.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Quote Originally Posted by freygr
    Reducing the image size to print doesn't make any sense but it is more work.
    If you're using on-line printing, it will speed the upload but if you're printing at home there's really no need to do this.

Thread Information