Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: 5D settings

5D settings

I am in the process fo switching to digital, and am starting with the 5D. I am wondering if there is a website or book, or any information on the settings? It has the basic portrait, & landscape already in the program, but I am unable to find how the numbers came about, or what are the differences in each setting. Basically, is there any place that I can look at pics taken with several different settings for the camera, or is this all going to be trial and error to get all the presets for sports, low and hi lighting, and all the other commom uses?

Re: 5D settings

I leave mine in neutral most of the time and do all the work in PS to get the outcome I want. All pictures taken in RAW.

Occasionally I use landscape and portrait but that is rare. The settings out of the box look good but I prefer to have total control. The only custom setting I use on is to set the Kelvin to 5500. Then change it to flash when used.

I can't help with sport settings.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Although I am not familiar with the 5D, preset modes on any DSLR work in much the same way.

In sports mode, the program will attempt to maximise the shutter speed in order to "freeze" the action. In landscape it will attempt to maximise the depth of field (by making the aperture as small as possible). And so on. Generally speaking, modes work fine if you are pushed for time.

However (and I am with readingr here), they can induce a certain laziness! Much better to take control of your camera in order to achieve the shot you want. Indeed, my own camera (Pentax K10D) doesn't have any modes.

Cheers
    Mike
    Last edited by Didache; 02-07-2008 at 08:12 AM.
    Mike Dales ARPS
    My website: www.mikedalesphotography.co.uk

All those pre set modes are pretty much similiar in all cameras that have them. Portrait will give you a wide open aperture, landscape a small aperture for depth of field, etc. Full auto mode applies saturation to the colors, good amount of sharpening and contrast.
    I think if you go into Canon website and delve into the specs of the 5D they might give you exact numbers.
    Is this a sticky point in determining whether or not you buy this camera? Any new camera you get will take trial and error to understand what the camera may do under different situations. As the others stated already, it is best to take control of the settings yourself rather than rely on the picture modes. You do realize that this camera has no built in flash? You will need a separate flash head if you are going to use any flash at all.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thaks for the help. I do use the camera mostly in manual mode, was just wondering if they, or anyone, had numbers they have found to work with different types of use. The camera only has portrait, neutral, and landscape programmed in, with several spots open for your own custom settings. And yes, I knew it had no built in flash, I use the 580ex. Thanks again

Thread Information