Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

550EX flash focus assist light not working with Rebel XT

I have an XT, and a 550EX flash. The focus assist light, however, will not come on in "P" mode or any other creative zone mode. In Green mode, however, the flash assist light works.

I have checked the custom functions and made sure the "external flash emits" option is selected. Still didn't work. I cleared all the custom functions. Still doesn't work. I reset all camera defaults. Still doesn't work.

Any ideas what may be the issue? If I am trying to take a flash picture in dim light, I obviously want the flash assist beam to activate. Thanks!

Re: 550EX flash focus assist light not working with Rebel XT

Follow up: never mind. I just cleared all the camera settings again and the focus assist light now works in P mode. Any insight on what the issue was? (Now I have the annoying little beep to get rid of. )

The AF Assist doesn't work in servo focus modes, only in single-shot. Any chance that in the P mode it was switched to servo?
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    The AF Assist doesn't work in servo focus modes, only in single-shot. Any chance that in the P mode it was switched to servo?
    That's the first thing I thought of too, and I could have sworn that it was in one shot mode. I must have been mistaken though, since it now works fine now that I have reset the camera's settings. Oh well, no matter.... I wish all my problems were as easy to solve as this one was.

Thread Information