Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: 400 Slide film

400 Slide film

I have come across some 400 slide film. I am thinking of using it this fall when the sky is blue and the trees are colorful. How much better will it be than 400 print film? How about with enlargements? Is the developing cost very high?

Re: 400 Slide film

Depends on the slide film. The absolute best (IMO) is Fuji Provia 400F. Nothing even close.

In comparing neg film (negative film, or print film) to slides, there are a lot of differences. Developing (usually put into slide mounts too) can run anywhere from about $5-10 although it's been some time since I've had it done. If you want a print, you'll have to scan it (or have it scanned) which is a lot of work but can be very much worth the effort. Provia 400F can make excellent prints but there is a learning curve with scanning and Photoshop work which will be a huge factor in print quality.

I don't mean to discourage you because I never really used neg film for outdoor stuff - always slide film. I only used Provia 400F for occasions when I needed the extra speed though. Fuji's Provia 100F looks basically identical, is easier to find and much less expensive. Their Velvia would be my first choice for fall colors though.

It is Velvia. My boss wants me to shoot him with his new Harley. I have two cameras. I thought about taking some pictures with both print and slide. Just to see what the differance is myself. How long will the slide film last in the camera if I take my time shooting pictures? Where do you get slide developed at?

"Classic" Velvia came in ISO50 but there's a newer Velvia 100. AFAIK, it never has been made in an ISO400 speed. If it's not Provia, it may be Sensia which is (or was) made in ISO400. Velvia 50 is horrible with skin tones, but I hear the new Velvia 100 is much better although I haven't tried it personally. Velvia is probably the #1 film for landscape and nature photographers, but it's not perfect for everything.

Your right it is provia 400f. We have someone locally that advertises they can scan the slides. I might give it a try.

I used to use ProviaF 400 sometimes when I shot film. It was very good. Low grain, accurate color. In fact I prefered slide to print in terms of color accuracy and vibrancy. It seemed to scan better than print film too. Sensia 100 is an excellent, cheap slide film. I used it most of the time and got great results with it even for sports. Here is one I shot with an EOS 3, 80-200 2.8L and Sensia 100.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 400 Slide film-skate.jpg  

Thread Information