Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Question 35mm to Digital??

I have been using a Nikon N55 35mm SLR camera with 28-80mm zoom lens and I love the quality of the pictures I get. I am now looking for a new inexpensive digital camera and I have narrowed it down to a few. But first can someone tell me what I should look for in a digital camera to get the same quality I am getting from my 35mm?

Also will I notice a differnce between the Canon Rebel T1i 500D Digital SLR Camera and the Nikon Coolpix S710 Digital Camera? Both are 15 megapixel but they very in price and seem to be 2 totally different cameras. If so what would be the major differences between them?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: 35mm to Digital??

First of all, welcome to the forums.

Are you looking for a point and shoot or entry level slr.
    If you're looking for an slr, I think the D5000 would suit because you could use the lenses you have with it for the most part except that they wouldn't auto focus unless they are afs lenses. There's no in camera focus motor on D5000.
    Your asking for a comparison of different beasts with the Canon Rebel and the NIkon coolpix.
    A point and shoot has great potential, is easier to use and carrry, but will not have the potential of a dslr. Especially when you are talking inexpensive which is, of course, a subjective term with different meaning for different folk.
    Let us know more about what you are looking to shoot digitally and probably you'll get better answers from those with more knowledge than I. Also, what does inexpensive mean to you?
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

1. What I should look for in a digital camera to get the same quality I am getting from my 35mm?

It depends a bit on what your expectations are.
    - If you are getting postcard size prints made from the lab then most dgital cameras should be able to do as good or better.
    - If you are shooting Velvia slides and projecting them in a dark room then it is very difficult to find a digital setup with the same impact.
    - If you're somewhere between these extremes then a 6Mpix DSLR is about the same quality as 24x36 film or better (less noise/grain at high ISO). A 12-15 Mpix DSLR is better than 6x6 film IMO. Manufacturers have made great progress in exposure accuracy, flash and lens sharpness as any current Nikon DSLR should be better than your N55 with the kit lens

2. Canon Rebel T1i 500D Digital SLR Camera and the Nikon Coolpix S710 Digital Camera - what would be the major differences between them?

The 500D is a SLR like your N55 and the Coolpix is a point-and-shoot. I don't have the S710 but typically point-and-shoots have:
    - slow focussing
    - no possibility to add an external flash
    - wide zoom range but no possibility to change the lens
    - much more noise as you increase the ISO
    - much more of a tendency to burn out the highlights in an ugly way
    - no possibility to shoot RAW (output format where you can "develop" the image yourself and correct errors in exposure, light balance etc.)
    - small size (I use one when I don't have space for a DSLR)
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Thanks for the information. So it sounds like a DSLR Camera would have better pictures than a point and shoot. So I think I would be happier spending a little extra money getting one.

I am looking at the Nikon D40, Nikon D5000, and the Cannon Rebel T1i 500D that I mentioned before. Can you recommend one of these cameras over the others?

The only reason the cannon stands out to me is because of the 15mp over the 12mp that the Nikon has. Will I notice a difference with the higher megapixel?

I am trying to stay under $700 if possible but up to $800 if it will get me a much better camera. I have found some deals on ebay for all of these cameras ranging from $500-$800 with a lens kit.

Frog - Are you saying that the lens from my Nikon N55 would fit on the Nikon D5000? and other models of Nikon?

I typically take shots of friends, family, and scenery on my 35mm and usually only print them on a 4x6 photo. I just want to make sure that if I get a digital it will be worth the investment and will be equal to or better quality then my 35mm.

Thanks Frog & Franglais your input was very helpful.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Fit yes, autofocus probably not. Will probably meter. What lens(s) do you have?
    If you think that manual focus will be fine I would remind you that digital slrs do not have split screen focus screens.
    If you want it to be able to autofocus, you would have to get D70 or higher and they don't make D70 or 80 anymore.
    Probably can get some very lightly used D80s but the D70 though still be happily used by many is pretty dated by now.
    I would skip the D40 and go for the D5000 or the Canonxti
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardino
    I have been using a Nikon N55 35mm SLR camera with 28-80mm zoom lens and I love the quality of the pictures I get. I am now looking for a new inexpensive digital camera and I have narrowed it down to a few. But first can someone tell me what I should look for in a digital camera to get the same quality I am getting from my 35mm?

Also will I notice a differnce between the Canon Rebel T1i 500D Digital SLR Camera and the Nikon Coolpix S710 Digital Camera? Both are 15 megapixel but they very in price and seem to be 2 totally different cameras. If so what would be the major differences between them?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks! :thumbsup:
    First the Coolpx S710 doesn't have the same quality of the N55. You can use your current lens on any of the costly Nikon full frame Digital cameras, but with the dx size sensor the angle of view 1.5 x so the 28-80 would give you the angle of view of a 42mm-120mm lens on your N55. Bodies that you lens will auto-focus on are the D1, D2, D3, D100, D70, D80, D90, D300, and D700 series cameras.

If you have more Nikon lenses than just the zoom it just may pay to just purchase a body. If your only have one lens then it really don't mater, but I would also look at Pentax, or Sony cameras beside Nikon and Canon. I'm highly impressed with the Pentax 14 mega pixel camera.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thread Information