Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

35mm cameras HELP

Soon I will be attending a photography course where I have to bring my own "35mm camera with manual override". Since I don't know enough about cameras I am not sure what this means. Could you please explain what is a "35mm camera with manual override" and suggest a camera to buy.

Thanks in advance

Re: 35mm cameras HELP

Welcome to PR and congrats on the upcoming class! What they mean is a camera that allows you to manually focus and also allows you to manually set your aperture size and shutter speed. What kind of budget will you have for a camera?
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

I very good camera for school would be a Pentax K1000 and a 50mm lens. Or a Canon AE-1. Both can be found at a reasonable price. I think the Pentax is popular for photography classes because it is fully manual.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

I've got one of these:

http://www.adorama.com/CAK2K2.html?s...20K2&item_no=1

It has full manual and under $200 for camera and lens (neither top of the line but very good and far good enough for your needs) it's a pretty good deal. All Canon accessories and all EF lenses, NOT EF-S, will work. Mine takes great pictures, well up to the operators limits, and I would not hesitate to recommend it. I even use the 28-90 lens on my XT.

And you are starting with a brand new camera.

JMNSHO &, of course, YMMV
    The world is full of people who can hear a loud bang, feel a sharp pain in their foot, notice smoke trickling from their holster........ And never put it all together.

Canon EOS Rebel XT DSLR; Canon EOS Rebel K2 35 mm SLR, Canon Powershot S5IS Compact; Canon Photura 35 mm P&S (Definitely not compact. Probably the best 35 P&S ever)

The Nikon FM-10 is also a good choice. But used cameras can be a good buy. Just make sure it does have full manual control beside all the bells and whistles. I you have a DSLR if you have full frame lenses that you can use by all means's purchase a film camera in that band.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thread Information