Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

35 mm camera questions

I have a digital slr ,but i need a film slr for class. My skill levels between beginner & intermediate. I know the lens is more important than the camera, but im no that sure what camera and lens to look for, maybe a Canon (it does need to be able to go from manual to auto focus). Im also a student so i can't spend alot of money,and i do plan on buying a used one. help please

Re: 35 mm camera questions

The Canon EOS A2 is an excellent body with most of the bells and whistles without costing an arm and a leg. It's an Auto Focus(EOS) body that's almost pro. KEH has them for around $70 in Excellent condition. The 1N is a pro level body going for about $250, and the 3 is a prosumer body that is a little newer than the 1N and goes for around $300. Just depends how nice you want to go.

For class I would look toward prime lenses, they aren't too expensive, usually fairly fast, and usually very sharp. For example a 50mm f/1.8 is about $80. Other primes are usually in the $200-$500 range for shorter focal lengths, if you stay away from the pro level glass.

You don't say what DSLR you have but you may want to look for something compatible with it.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Well i have a nikon d 60

id suggest looking for a used nikon film slr... you can get them pretty cheap for which ever features you need for class. id definitely get a nikon to be able to have compatible lenses flashes etc.
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

I would go for the Nikon F80:

- it's fairly recent (2000) so a second-hand one should still work
    - "expert amateur" class so it has most of the features of the pro models at low price
    - many recent DSLR's were derived from it (D70, D80, D90)

Lenses, flashes and stuff for the D60 and the F80 are compatible in some cases:

- AF-S lenses for the F80 will fit and autofocus on the D60 (plain AF lenses will fit but won't autofocus on the D60 - the D80 or D90 would be a better choice for a digital body)
    - an advanced flash for the D60 (example SB600) is compatible with the off-the-film TTL measurement mode used on the F80
    - the kit lens from the D60 will fit on the F80 but the image will be cut off in the corners
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

In the last week I have found the following used 35mm SLRs for photography students in various Pawn Shops here in Pensacola, at very atractive prices.

Nikon FE w/50mm F1.8 Needs Cleaning Lube and Adjustment & Light Seals- $59.00
    Pentax K1000 w/50mm F2 Good Working Condition, a few cosmetic defects - $89.00
    Canon AE1 w/ 50mm F1.4 Needs Cleaning Lube and Adjustment & Light Seals - $69.00

I ALSO FOUND THIS ONE AT A TERRIBLE PRICE - Canon F1 w/50mm F1.2L This Camera has a torn shutter curtain, slightly bent back, and inoperative light meter while the lens has heavy internal fungus, the focus ring is very stiff (probably bent), and the mount is worn causing a slight wobble when mounted. This system is only good for parts and the Pawn Shop Owner said it "LOOKS" like it was in excellent condition (It is pretty) so he would not budge off his price of $550.0, which he said he paid for the camera. This camera in Excellent condition is priced by KEH at $299.00 for the Body and $725.00 for the Lens.

If you decide to go this route you need to take someone with you that can do a fairly accurate check on the equipment. Both the Nikon and Canon were priced much higher untiil I pointed out the problems with the cameras. I can get a CLA and new Light Seals for less than $100 depending on the body, and what problems are present. See my post on Film Equipment Repair. If you are very careful you can get a real bargain.
    Bill,

Feel Free TO EDIT My Photos, But Please Tell Me Why
    I have gone over to the dark side, no more film.
    Canon T2i, 18-135 IS
    Digital Point&Shot - Canon Powershot A470

You can find all kinds of 35mm film camera with lenses on criag's list, and most of them will be in very good condition and most will be between $100-$200 with some under and a few overpriced. Ebay also has a lot but you have to be very careful. I have not had any problems buying or selling on ebay but some member have had very bad transactions.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

I have purchased quite a few items on ebay, and have had very few problems. I am careful about reading the descriptions, asking questions of the seller if something is not clear, and usually bid if there is a 7, or more, day return policy. I have only received one camera that did not work, but I bid on the item for the lens, the description was clear that the body was not tested, but the lens was, and is, in great condition. Just be careful if you decide to go on ebay or any auction site.

Good luck,
    Phil

You really want to think long term here, and think system more than camera. Your camera body will come and go as you grow in the field but your lenses will be able to move from body to body. So I'd spend your money on the lenses, rather than get a camera body with all the whistles and bells.

To that end, the two I like are the Canon XSi or T1 and the Nikon D series. Both are good entry level camera bodies and are excellent.

I just reread your post,
    Quote Originally Posted by sugarbooh
    I have a digital slr
    I'll add: Purchase a camera that will take the same lenses as your current camera. NOTE: any film lens you end up with will work on our DSLR, but the Digital lenses will not work on the film body due to the smaller image area.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Thanks to everybody who help! ill be searching for a Nikon N80 or F80 can will any lens made for those cameras fit the d60? are the not the same camera?

Thanks to everybody who help! ill be searching for a Nikon N80 or F80 can will any lens made for those cameras fit the d60? are the not the same camera?
    The Answer is yes but check out this link: http://www.nikonians.org/nikon/slr-lens.html
    the link gives all the if ands and buts. All the lens will have an effective focal lens of 1.5 times (field of view). All lens will most likely only be usable only in full manual mode.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Picked up an EOS 10 a few months ago to get back into film and I love it

Since you have a digital SLR, I'd get a film body that you can use your existing lenses on. This way you can use the best of both worlds. And when that class is over, you have two bodies that use the same lenses.

I have a digital slr ,but i need a film slr for class. My skill levels between beginner & intermediate. I know the lens is more important than the camera, but im no that sure what camera and lens to look for, maybe a Canon (it does need to be able to go from manual to auto focus). Im also a student so i can't spend alot of money,and i do plan on buying a used one. help please

Thread Information