Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Question 20D Remote Shutter N3 and standard 2.5mm stereo switch

I had fabricated an adapter using the Canon RA-N3 and a stereo jack to use my mouth switch with a standard 2.5mm jack for my 10D. It worked. I sold my 10D and got a 20D. Now, when I plug it in using the same adapter, the camera fires endlessly (on multi-shot) or once and freezes (on One-shot). That is the circuit is permanently closed. I thought my shafty radio shack soldering job was just shorting, so I thought I'd try using the Canon RA-N3 adapter (N3 to T3) and the Canon T3 adapter (T3 to stereo) with my stereo mouth switch. Same problem. I've tried with several mouth switches as well. Still same problem. I know I'm shorting the circuit somewhere, it's permanently closed... But I can't figure out where.

Has anyone made a good N3 to stereo (female jack) adapter?
    Am I asking for trouble trying to combine the simple 2 wire remote to the 3 wire N3 plug?
    Could it be a problem with my 20D? (No one else I know has a 20D I could test it on.)
    Should the Canon RA-N3 adapter (N3 to T3) and the Canon T3 adapter (T3 to stereo) work????

Is there a way to get the benefit of the half-press with the third wire when I adapt it to a stereo plug? Anyone good with circuits know what resistor and capacitor to use to add a millisecond delay in triggering the half-press right before the release?

Better yet, if anyone has already made this and is selling them, where could I find one?

The reason I need to use the mouth switch is I am mounting the camera to a helmet and getting out of airplanes, my hands must be free for other things. And the switch must be durable in 150mph winds.

Thanks in advance for the help!
    Lew

Re: 20D Remote Shutter N3 and standard 2.5mm stereo switch

I'm certainly glad you explained WHY you need a 'mouth switch'. I was beginning to wonder about that. Sounds like a good way to short circuit your head if something goes wrong, though - and the battery power is more than sufficient to prove fatal, if properly misapplied.

Is there a possibility of doing a two switch setup? One to do the focusing/metering, then the other to trip the shutter.

Thread Information