Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: 120J and A700

120J and A700

Can you put a 120J module on a Sony A700? I have a Sunpak 120J module from another Minolta 800si and would like to move it over to the A700. Nobody I've asked seems to have an answer.....

Re: 120J and A700

Not sure, I would assume that it would at least work in full manual, assuming the voltage syncs properly. Make sure its the right voltage and then experiment. Does it connect through hot shoe? If so, is it the older hot shoe standard or the new Minolta/Sony proprietary shoe plate?

It uses that same wierd shoe mount that MAKES you buy a minolta style module or Minolta style flash.(I have the sunpak module for TTL use) They all line up but like you said-the voltage. If they don't synch up it might damage the flash and or camera. This flash was the best thing ever invented. It's so damn accurate and mighty powerful. You can do closeups of the wedding rings OR do an entire family reunion 50 ft away.

Check in the Sony forum for more info, but the bottom line is you need an adapter to use it properly, and even then, in limited mode. Others in the Sony forum will have more info for you.

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

The trigger voltage for the 120J is supposedly 12V, which I think is the maximum for the a700. It will fire only at full or manual power settings. You'll only get TTL/ADI flash metering with Minolta 3600HS & 5600HS, with Sony HVL-F36AM, F42AM, F56AM, F58AM, and some Sigma/Metz models.

Thread Information