Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

10D suddenly not recognized by PC

Such a stupid question, but it is driving me crazy! I was in the process of downloading some photos..(into elements) and suddenly the process stopped and I was informed that the camera did not have enough battery power.. Hmm.. full battery light.. But I dutifully canceled the process and charged the battery.. now the camera is no longer recognized by my computer! I have checked and reinstalled the driver, fiddled with the cable.. all to no avail.. Camera seems to be working fine.. But I just acquired the thing used, and I am still working my way around it...any suggestions would be helpful..

Re: 10D suddenly not recognized by PC

Have a look in computer management devices when the camera is connected. If you see under imageing devices I think it is, the Canon. Then right click on it, and unistall it again. Sometimes things get their nickers in a twist and remain unrecongnisable, no matter what one does.

Sometimes just restarting the computer takes care of it. Sometimes just turning the camera off, wait 30 seconds and turn it back on will do the trick. If not, then you will probably have to do as said below, uninstall & reinstall. This plug and play stuff doesn't always work as it should

JS

A compact flash card reader might make things easier too, they're less than $20. If your computer has USB2, definately take advantage of it. If it doesn't, you may want to add it - USB2 PCI cards are also very inexpensive and fast.

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    A compact flash card reader might make things easier too, they're less than $20. If your computer has USB2, definately take advantage of it. If it doesn't, you may want to add it - USB2 PCI cards are also very inexpensive and fast.

Good idea.. you are the 5 person to tell me this.. I will go check it out tomorrow!

Replace the camera's backup battery. Check the manual to find out exactly what kind and where it is. I think it should be a CR2016 in a little slot next to the main battery.

Thread Information