Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Angry ~~~ Anyone know an automated digital camera?

Hey, my homies....

Does anyone here know of some cheap, digital camera that has timelapse recording, so I can set it to take one picture every # of minutes. Something for $100 or less would be cool, the camera can be crappy, I don't care, as long as it takes OK quality pictures, and 800x600 resolution. Any help/advice is appreciated.

Thanks my bro!
    Last edited by joblo; 01-18-2007 at 05:56 PM.

Re: ~~~ Anyone know an automated digital camera?

Not digital, but a lot of Nikon film SLR's had an optional multi-function back with an intervalometer (does what you're describing). I had an N8008s with the back, think it may have been an MF-21. I'll bet you could get both of them or at least the earlier N8008 for that price range.

The Olympus SP-350 can. You should still be able to find one for less than $200.

I don't remember the resolution but there is a camera used by hunters for trying to figure out hunting locations thats tripped by deer and so on. I think Dicks Sporting Goods sells them pretty cheap. They may have more than one type as well. From what I heard they do OK in low light too.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Quote Originally Posted by joblo
    Hey, my homies....

Does anyone here know of some cheap, digital camera that has timelapse recording, so I can set it to take one picture every # of minutes. Something for $100 or less would be cool, the camera can be crappy, I don't care, as long as it takes OK quality pictures, and 800x600 resolution. Any help/advice is appreciated.

Thanks my bro!
    Nikon has a computer program that will drive their DSLRs which will do that but its costly. But you can always use a NE555 timer and a transistor to drive a solenoid to trigger the shutter, then you could use any old camera.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

The first thing that I thought of when I read your post, was a trail cam, or game tracker cam, like JS is talking about. Cabela's has a wide assortment of them, both film and digital.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I found out at dpreview.com that the Canon G3 has that feature. Go to the specs on their site, and scroll down to where it says:

Timelapse recording : Yes

The camera is going for 120ish on ebay, which is pretty cool. If anyone knows some cheaper stuff, hit me up. G3 is sweet stuff, but i don't need all the features.

Thread Information