Film Cameras and Photography Forum

Film Photography Forum Discuss film photography techniques, including darkroom, film types, film cameras, filters, etc. - forum moderator is Xia-Ke.
Read and Write Film Reviews >>
Read and Write 35mm SLR Reviews >>
Read and Write Rangefinder Camera Reviews >>
Read and Write Medium Format Camera Reviews >>

Where I've been and what I've been up to...

Wow, it's been a VERY long time. First off, I feel like I owe everyone an apology. It was never my intention to disappear on you all. Life just got crazy. Between school, work, and life I actually ended up going a few months last year without touching my camera once. My heart just wasn't in it. Before I knew it so much time had past that, to be honest, I just felt funny about coming back. I just want to say thank you to those who kept checking in with me, particularly Greg and Ali. You two are the best and I am truly grateful for your friendship.

For those that are interested, school has been going well. Just finished my first year with a 3.96 GPA I really didn't end up really shooting anything until the end of last August. As much as I LOVED my 4x5, with everything going I just did not have the time to dedicate to it. The process of shooting with it, which I loved so much, was its downfall in the end I guess. I ended up picking up a Nikon F3HP and a 50mm f/1.2 Ai-S the end of last Summer and that's what I've been shooting with since. I've been trying my best to make time for photography over the last 6 months or so. It is an escape that I have missed and have come to realize I need for my sanity...LOL I can make no guarantees on my future here is. Life is crazy, but I will try my best to check in periodically. So in closing, here's a little of what I have been up to photography wise...

These are some shots of my girlfriend that I have been dating since last August. We had a fun little portrait session. These were shot with the Nikon using Arista Premium 100 developed in Rodinal 1+25. Printed on Fotokemika Varycon VC FB Matte paper with Ethol LPD 1+6 and toned using Kentmere Rapid Selenium Toner 1+!9.

Lindsey Print

Lindsey Print

Lindsey Print

Here's a couple shots of a hiking trip I took with my mom and sister for my 30th birthday last October. Shot with the Nikon and Velvia RVP100. (You'll have to excuse the focus on the first one. While it may not look like it, the light levels were pretty low with the overcast skies. Shooting wide open at f/1.2 doesn't leave much room for error DOF wise )

Mom and Lise Along Champney Falls Trail

Chocorua Summit

To finish up, here are the last couple shots I took with my 4x5 before selling. These were from the same hiking trip. Shot with a Nagaoka 4x5 with Ilford FP4+ film developed in Rodinal 1+25. Printed on Fotokemika Emaks G3 paper in Ethol LPD 1+6 and toned with Kentmere Rapid Selenium Toner 1+19. These are just contact prints though. Wish I had room for a 4x5 enlarger so I could get these the way I want them. Dodging/burning a 4x5 print is a b****...LOL

Mount Chocorua

Kancamagus Highway View
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Re: Where I've been and what I've been up to...

Very nice, congrats on the GPA and the F3HP, I use the F3 myself as the 35mm camera I carry around the most with me (when I'm not shooting with my Yashica-12).

And Welcome Back.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

I briefly tried school before I fell. I can see how it would eat into your time. Congrats on the high GPA too. But mostly on the new girl. You guys have fun together, life is short.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Glad to see you around again.
    Its not just the film guys that missed you!
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Thanks guys

Axle, the F3 is what I considered to be my "dream" 35mm. Just feels so great in hand and everything is laid out perfectly. Just picked up a SB-16a and a 28-85mm Ai-S for it as well. Figure it's about time I learn some flash photography. Will need to pick Ali's brain on that.

Greg, was great to reconnect with you on Facebook. I'm glad things are working out so well with Nora. Keep me posted on how that new lens is ::thumbsup::

Missed you too Frog. LOVE the new SP avatar!
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

drg

Hey stranger!

Glad to see you back.

So you now have one of the greatest tanks Nikon ever produced. I always like my F2 a little better though the viewfinder in F3 seemed to make better use of the highpoint offset as I recall. Makes shooting with glasses a bunch easier.

New girlfriends always make for lots of photo ops! Don't give up the LF forever, we need someone here who still cranks out some of the larger work once in a while. I sure relate as I don't even have 'big film' in stock anymore.
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Some very nice shots, I know what you mean about 4 X 5 being a "B....", many years ago I inherited a Speed Graphic 4 X 5 and for about 6 months used it exclusively, lots of work, 645 roll film and 35mm for me now! :lol:
    Bill,

Feel Free TO EDIT My Photos, But Please Tell Me Why
    I have gone over to the dark side, no more film.
    Canon T2i, 18-135 IS
    Digital Point&Shot - Canon Powershot A470

Yay! Great to see you posting again!
    I really really love the tones and layers in that last shot Aaron! Just beautiful!

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xia_Ke
    Greg, was great to reconnect with you on Facebook. I'm glad things are working out so well with Nora. Keep me posted on how that new lens is ::thumbsup::
    I am on Facebook too! Look me up, both of you.
    Hi Aaron!
    Glad to see you are around, I have been wondering!
    :thumbsup:
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Good to see you back Aaron.
    Cameron665

Mamiya RZ67, Zeiss Ikon Nettar, Voigtlander Bessa 66
    Olympus OM1 x2, OM4 x2, OM10
    Voigtlander Vito B, Kiev 4am, Zero Image pinhole
    Pentax K20D

Hi drg, how have you been? Saw you've been keeping the film going. How's your challenge coming along? Thanks for all the great posts you've done in my absence! :thumbsup: No worries about the large format. I have no desire to stop shooting it. I'm actually planing to go bigger. When things settle down, I'm going to make the jump to 8x10.

Hi w.s., nice to meet you. I wouldn't say large format is a bitch at all. The reason I sold mine had nothing to do with actually shooting it. The problem is my enlarger only does up to 6x9 negs. I have been looking around at 45 enlargers, but the problem is their size. While I have space the moment, I won't be here forever and looking at apartments in the area, I know I won't have room for a 4x5 enlarger and contact printing the negatives has just gotten old. I don't want to print big, but I like 8x10's. So I'm going to make the jump to 8x10 when funds allow and also want to pick up a 6x9 view camera like a Horseman VH. We'll see what the funds allow for though.

Cameron, it's good to see you keeping film alive :thumbsup: Question, how are you liking the Nettar? Was thinking about picking one up as just a fun little folder to carry around. They're so cheap that its very tempting.

Brian, how have you been? How's the fishing and the Holga shootin going lately? I have broken out the Holga a few times. Here's a couple shots for you...

These two are from the same portrait shooting from above with my girlfriend...
    Lindsey

Picnic

My Mom
    Mom

A little photo session with my uncle
    Craig

My aunt
    Jill

Okay, so that was more than a couple...lol All shot on Ilford HP5+ and souped in Rodinal 1+25
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Hi Aaron, I can recommend the old folders as a great way to carry MF with you. Both the Zeiss Ikon and the Voigtlander Bessa66 are quite portable and hardly take up any space at all. The quality of manufacture is also pretty good as the Bessa is circa 1933 and still works fine. The Zeiss doesn't have a double exposure lock out so you need to get into a routine of winding on to the next frame.
    Cameron665

Mamiya RZ67, Zeiss Ikon Nettar, Voigtlander Bessa 66
    Olympus OM1 x2, OM4 x2, OM10
    Voigtlander Vito B, Kiev 4am, Zero Image pinhole
    Pentax K20D

Very nice to hear from you. Great to catchup and see some new stuff from you. even with a hectic life sometimes it's good to take a little time out for yourself and do something you really love. Keep shooting and don't be a stranger.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

GB1

I can relate Aaron. I tried doing photography while in engineering school for years and I think all I did was distract myself in school and, though I kept in the domain and produced some great shots sometimes, disappointed myself with my images more times than not. Sometimes school and other stuff forces your attention (and brain) in another direction.

I think that creative stuff like photography requires one to dedicate a lot of time and attention. I esp feel that way about post processing my digital images: I have to sit there and 'get into' it before I can really make hay. Maybe this is why writers live in cottages to finish their books?

Congrats on the GF and the GPA.
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

I kinda fell off the face of the earth myself. I think for a while I also lost my desire to shoot. My Hasselblad 201F (the beautiful camera it is) sat unused waiting for me to get motivated again.

Well the Hasselblad was waiting for me, I got busy around the holidays and sold off almost all my Canon Gear including all my Digital Bodies as well as my Eos 3. I still have the 630 and a couple of lenses but I am not sure how long the will be around. I replaced the Canon Gear with a Nikon D700 and some quality Nikon Lenses.

Shortly after the Monsoons in IL finished, I finally took the Hasselblad out. So I did some shooting this week with the 50 2.8 and the 110 2.0. Of course its been so long since I shot I have to order new developer (LOL).

Just to make things more interested I started investigating 4x5 and recently purchased a Cambo SC2 that came with a case and a bunch of accessories. It arrived yesterday and this camera has been completely refurbished. I also picked up a Symmar 180mm 5.6 lens which also becomes a 310 F 12 when the front element or cell is removed. So now I am shooting Digital, Medium format, and Large Format. Large format is new to me so I kinda feel like I am back in school. Anyway, thats where I have been. Oh wait, I did get a trip to Jamaica in there somewhere.

Jason

Thread Information