Film Cameras and Photography Forum

Film Photography Forum Discuss film photography techniques, including darkroom, film types, film cameras, filters, etc. - forum moderator is Xia-Ke.
Read and Write Film Reviews >>
Read and Write 35mm SLR Reviews >>
Read and Write Rangefinder Camera Reviews >>
Read and Write Medium Format Camera Reviews >>

What's the status of Agfa film?

Now I was under the impression that Agfa discontinued Scala and their APX films when they went bankrupt. Now I see Walterick posting photos of their film from PMA. Are they back in production now?
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

Re: What's the status of Agfa film?

Quote Originally Posted by Xia_Ke
    Now I was under the impression that Agfa discontinued Scala and their APX films when they went bankrupt. Now I see Walterick posting photos of their film from PMA. Are they back in production now?
    Apparently, after they went bankrupt, a company called Lupus Imaging started making Agfa films. I'm not sure if there were any changes, but they are still available. I've heard a lot of good things about APX 100, but I've never tried it.

http://www.lupus-imaging-media.com/c...16/31/lang,en/

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

That was my impression also. I didn't think Agfa existed as a company anymore. It was my understanding that the Scala film that I have, and that you can still purchase is the last of the stock that Agfa had created before they went belly up.

They still have APX film on their website so...
    http://www.agfaphoto.com/products.ph...5&categorie=74
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I've only tried 1 roll of APX100 but, it seemed to be nice stuff. Hard to say from just one roll though. Looking at Lupus's website, looks like Scala is back in production...

http://www.lupus-imaging-media.com/c...23/31/lang,en/

I'm curious are they making the chemicals for it as well as I thought that dr-5 was Agfa's proprietary formula and disconitued along with Scala? Guess I don't have to be so worried about using up the rolls I have in the freezer. Like you Mike, I have some rolls that were from about the end of their stock and I had wanted to save them for something special but, now I want to load up a roll...LOL
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I have a roll of Scala loaded up in the TLR that I borrewed a couple months ago. I have one more roll after that that I was saving for the spring. I also have a roll of 35mm that I plan on taking to Africa with me. After that, I think I will be done with the Scala.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

It looks like great stuff and everyone seems to love it but, at $14.85 a roll to process it, I want to be absolutely sure that every shot counts...LOL

http://www.dr5.com/dr5price.pdf
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

GB1

I hope it's a different film than what it was in the mid 80s! I was stationed in Germany then and used it on occasion.. My impressions were that it was ridiculously grainy and learned too far towards the browns and grays, looking 'muddy.'
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Is that for the Scala or for the APX? The roll I tried seemed to be a nice middle ground between Plus-x and TMAX. Now again, I only tried one roll of it and it was back when I first started developing film so it could just be me. They do seem to have quite the following though.

Aaron
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

GB1

I used both Agfa color and b&w film there. The B&W seemed better - the color was crap. But remember that this was back in 1984-85, and every film manufacturer has made incredible strides in those 20+ yrs
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

My Site

Thread Information