Film Cameras and Photography Forum

Film Photography Forum Discuss film photography techniques, including darkroom, film types, film cameras, filters, etc. - forum moderator is Xia-Ke.
Read and Write Film Reviews >>
Read and Write 35mm SLR Reviews >>
Read and Write Rangefinder Camera Reviews >>
Read and Write Medium Format Camera Reviews >>

Sigma SA lenses ?

Does anyone have any experience with Sigma SA series camera/lens. I got into a recent purchase without doing proper due diligence. I now have a sigma SA-5. This model does not accept the old K-mount bayonet lens. I can't seem to find any used or new SA film lenses. I would like to know if the SA film lenses and the SA Digital lenses are interchangeable. Anyone? Thank you. :mad2:

drg

Re: Sigma SA lenses ?

Quote Originally Posted by Amatuer No.9
    Does anyone have any experience with Sigma SA series camera/lens. I got into a recent purchase without doing proper due diligence. I now have a sigma SA-5. This model does not accept the old K-mount bayonet lens. I can't seem to find any used or new SA film lenses. I would like to know if the SA film lenses and the SA Digital lenses are interchangeable. Anyone? Thank you. :mad2:
    The 'digital' SA lenses marked DC are for APS or smaller sized digital sensors only. If you used them on a film camera, like the SA-5, or in another mount on a full frame digital sensor, they will vignette. This means of course that it will be dark along the edge of the image.

Sigma also has the DG series of digital lenses for both film and digital cameras that are engineered to not have edge falloff or as Sigma states it , 'they have sufficient peripheral illumination'. Most are very good and really a bargain.

So, no, the DC lenses are not compatible. Regular SA lenses worth considering include any of their current F2.8 Macro fixed focal length units(50mm, 70mm 105mm, and 150mm). The new 50mm F1.4 is another fine lens. For film the 28mm F1.8 wide angle is a great lens but I don't recommend it for digital. I have it in two different mounts and still use both frequently.

A now discontinued zoom, the 28-200mm, in the right version (there were two or three) was a fine general film lens that was produced until recently. That is one perhaps worth looking for but get the right one which is the 28-200mm F3.5-5.6 DG Compact Aspherical Hyperzoom Macro. There is a non DG version and an older version of the same that I wouldn't recommend.

The SA-5 is a great film camera. I have one, rarely ever used it but it came in a collection of cameras I bought up a few years back. It has a lot of bells and whistles. If you need a copy of the manual, I will see if I can dig one up!

I'd find a used 50mm F2.8 lens and have fun. There are some older version of this lens that were built for the SA-5 that focus slower I'm told but have amazing optics. The good Sigma lenses aren't cheap, but generally half of the cost of comparable optics for other current brands.

There are M42 mount (the original Pentax screw mount) adapters available for the SA mount. I've never used one but they do exist. Millions of M42 options are then available. I'd stick with a Sigma SA lens though so you can take advantage of AF and auto aperture.
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Bless You. That is the most information I have ever read on the subject. I'm very grateful.

If you have an orig. spare manual laying around...name your price. the camera came with the 28mm HS wide lens.
    I haven't found many regulars SA lenses, but I've seen the DG lenses listed. Oh man, this is great. Thought i was screwed on that CBA binge. Thank you.

drg

Quote Originally Posted by Amatuer No.9
    Bless You. That is the most information I have ever read on the subject. I'm very grateful.

If you have an orig. spare manual laying around...name your price. the camera came with the 28mm HS wide lens.
    I haven't found many regulars SA lenses, but I've seen the DG lenses listed. Oh man, this is great. Thought i was screwed on that CBA binge. Thank you.
    In my 'Magic box of things' I do have a SA-5 manual!!

PM me or send me an email where I can email you a copy. I'll make it into one or two PDF files. The manual is about 75 Page, unless you want the Japanese version also!
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Thread Information