Film Cameras and Photography Forum

Film Photography Forum Discuss film photography techniques, including darkroom, film types, film cameras, filters, etc. - forum moderator is Xia-Ke.
Read and Write Film Reviews >>
Read and Write 35mm SLR Reviews >>
Read and Write Rangefinder Camera Reviews >>
Read and Write Medium Format Camera Reviews >>
    Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Scan Cafe - Anyone tried them?

I have heard about Scan Cafe a couple of times and I'm thinking about giving them a try. Has anyone here used them?

The way I understand it is that you send them your film. They scan it at 3000 dpi, then post the images on a web gallery for you too choose which images you want. They burn the files you want to a disk, and send them back to you, along with all of your film.

I was thinking about purchasing a used scanner, but this may be a better alternative for those boxes of old slides from my Grandmother.

The only part that worries me a bit is that from what I read on their site, your film is sent to India to scan. Without having a backup of the film, I would be a little concerned with loosing my one of a kind film.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Re: Scan Cafe - Anyone tried them?

I have not even heard of them. Sounds like something I might want to look into.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

The only part that worries me a bit is that from what I read on their site, your film is sent to India to scan.
    Thanks for that, I won't touch them with someone else's barge pole
    I barely trust people in the same country with my media, let alone sending it abroad.

I would rather buy a new scanner - my old Dimage doesn't have drivers for XP.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Ouch, sending them to India??? Too risky for me. I would go through your slides/negatives, pick out the ones you want, then buy a scanner and do it yourself. Time consuming? Yes but, you will have full control and no risk of losing precious memories.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

BUMP

Last spring I won 2 gift boxes from Scan Cafe. I was a little hesitant to ship my stuff over seas, but earlier this year, I finally decided to give it a try. I loaded one of the boxes with over 250 slides and negatives and shipped them off. It took about 6 weeks from the time I sent them until I got them back on Monday. It seems like a long time, but considering they were just sitting on a shelf for several years, 6 weeks wasn't a big deal for me.

I have to say that the quality of the scans is better than I could have imagined. The files I got back from both 35mm color slides, and B&W negatives are VERY nice! Much nicer than what I was able to pay for locally. The files are around 30mb each and were scanned at 3000 dpi.

The total on my order would have been around $170 but with my gift box, it was all free! I hope to put together a gallery of some of the images I had scanned to share later this week.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Double Bump.

I put together a small gallery of some of the film I had scanned. All of the color images are from 35mm slides, the B&W are from 35mm B&W negatives. A couple of the slides I did mess with in PS and I sharpened a couple of the negatives. Other than that, they are straight out of the scanner.

http://www.magiclightphotography.com/scans/
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Thread Information