Film Cameras and Photography Forum

Film Photography Forum Discuss film photography techniques, including darkroom, film types, film cameras, filters, etc. - forum moderator is Xia-Ke.
Read and Write Film Reviews >>
Read and Write 35mm SLR Reviews >>
Read and Write Rangefinder Camera Reviews >>
Read and Write Medium Format Camera Reviews >>

Pentax K1000????

My Dad bought me a Pentax K1000 with a 50mm lens at a yard sell and it all seems to work fine except the meter. I do have a hand held meter I could use but if anyone knows a common easy to look for fix I would like to know how to fix. I have always wanted a K1000 and the meter is a small issue. By the way he bought it and the bag for $5.00. There is a flash unit too but the battery compartment is corroided.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Re: Pentax K1000????

Gently clean out the battery compartment, baking soda will do the trick, then let it dry for a day or so, then put in a fresh battery.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Thanks Axle., I did clean the battery compartment with a pencil eraser and I plan to try some contact cleaner. I think this is a common problem for the K1000. Still not a big issue.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

GB1

Ahh.. the K1000. That thing was photography at its truest form; simple, with a basic meter that showed you when you were under or over recommended center-weighted meter exposure. A great student camera! We owned one when I was 17 for about 3 months before someone stole it. It was great while it lasted.

So, you're saying that the meter is completely dead eh.. Did you try replacing the battery? I think that camera may be mechanical, so a dead battery may only affect the meter.
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Yes GB. I put a fresh 357 in it which is suppose to be what it takes. I am thinking the cells are dead. I always wanted on of those Voightlander hot shoe meters for all of my meterless cameras. Maybe one day I will swing for one.

Sony a99/a7R

GB1

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    Yes GB. I put a fresh 357 in it which is suppose to be what it takes. I am thinking the cells are dead. I always wanted on of those Voightlander hot shoe meters for all of my meterless cameras. Maybe one day I will swing for one.
    Ok, it was worth a try. You would be surprised how many people bring defective cameras to repair shops with weak or dead batteries. I've done it myself when my Mamiya 645 acted up on a cold weather trip in the field, but seemed to work back at the motel. I didn't make the connection that once the very weak battery warmed up that it would work but that in freezing temps it would not. :idea:
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

My Site

Thread Information