Film Cameras and Photography Forum

Film Photography Forum Discuss film photography techniques, including darkroom, film types, film cameras, filters, etc. - forum moderator is Xia-Ke.
Read and Write Film Reviews >>
Read and Write 35mm SLR Reviews >>
Read and Write Rangefinder Camera Reviews >>
Read and Write Medium Format Camera Reviews >>
    Have Cameras. Will Shoot! NaturalWoman's Avatar

Olympus OM1, OM2, OM4

Anyone have any experience with any of these cameras? I'm looking to purchase one off of ebay - as alternative shooting at least once or twice a month - and I'm not sure which one to get.

i've read on some of the listings that the light seals have been replaced for some cameras or either have been replace. Without looking it up, I don't know what it is, but have an idea. Is this something that is common with the om-1, om-2 and has been corrected with the om-4.

obviously, it won't be my main camera, but i'd like to do some film work and can use the lenses with my e620.

any thoughts on what one model over the other? it's really just for play.

also what about the olympus om10 - i found a used one for $35.00 and that could suffice.

any experience with any of the om cameras you have would be appreciated. i think i saw a several reviews on this site and will go back and read them.

i'm leaning toward the om4, but being that i won't be using it but a few times a month, the om1, less expensive, would be okay. just trying to figure out what's all missing from the om1 and om2 that the om4 has.

thanks in advance.
    Happily photographing within my camera's limitations.Website

drg

Re: Olympus OM1, OM2, OM4

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalWoman
    Anyone have any experience with any of these cameras? I'm looking to purchase one off of ebay - as alternative shooting at least once or twice a month - and I'm not sure which one to get.

i've read on some of the listings that the light seals have been replaced for some cameras or either have been replace. Without looking it up, I don't know what it is, but have an idea. Is this something that is common with the om-1, om-2 and has been corrected with the om-4.

obviously, it won't be my main camera, but i'd like to do some film work and can use the lenses with my e620.

any thoughts on what one model over the other? it's really just for play.

also what about the olympus om10 - i found a used one for $35.00 and that could suffice.

any experience with any of the om cameras you have would be appreciated. i think i saw a several reviews on this site and will go back and read them.

i'm leaning toward the om4, but being that i won't be using it but a few times a month, the om1, less expensive, would be okay. just trying to figure out what's all missing from the om1 and om2 that the om4 has.

thanks in advance.
    Good news and bad news.

Bad news first. Your current 4/3rds lenses won't work on these manual bodies. They won't even mount.

Good news. If you find a working OMx or OM10 or similar they are a jewel of a camera. The Zuiko optics for them were tremendous lenses. Some of the best non-German lenses. At their peak the film lenses were measurably better than Canon and Nikon of the same era by a wide margin. Just difficult to get any support other than sales. Oly is still my favorite quirky camera company.

The lenses are just hard to find now in clean and good shape. Very innovative body features too.
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Quote Originally Posted by drg
    Good news and bad news.

Bad news first. Your current 4/3rds lenses won't work on these manual bodies. They won't even mount.

Good news. If you find a working OMx or OM10 or similar they are a jewel of a camera. The Zuiko optics for them were tremendous lenses. Some of the best non-German lenses. At their peak the film lenses were measurably better than Canon and Nikon of the same era by a wide margin. Just difficult to get any support other than sales. Oly is still my favorite quirky camera company.

The lenses are just hard to find now in clean and good shape. Very innovative body features too.
    but with an adapter, i can use the OM lenses on the 620, correct?

i found a decent om10 as well, so i could get that one, just wasn't sure if it was any good. been trying to read up on them, but i can't really decide.

thanks for your input.

drg

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalWoman
    but with an adapter, i can use the OM lenses on the 620, correct?

i found a decent om10 as well, so i could get that one, just wasn't sure if it was any good. been trying to read up on them, but i can't really decide.

thanks for your input.
    Yes, that you can do. The FourThirds is one of the more adaptable mounts for use with legacy lenses. The Micro FourThirds I've heard is a different story depending on the lens and the camera combo.

The OM10-20 etc (bunch of letter and number combos as I recall too) were a lower cost body. Fewer features and perhaps not as rugged.

You could always go for another film body and lens that will also adapt to the Oly digital body. Not necessarily better, but condition of what is available used might be a good determining factor.

Here's a link to the website of one of the better Adapter brands currently available. I've linked straight to the page for the Adapter Finder tool. Just select Olympus OM and FourThirds to see the indexed page.

http://www.novoflex.com/en/products/...dapter-finder/

As everyone warns, do be careful of buying a really cheap adapter. Some are fine. Check Adorama and B&H as they sell pretty good 'generic' fully manual mounts for less than these Novoflex.

If you give it a try, please share some pics. We need more film shooters here at PR!
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I'm using an old OM lens on a 4/3 adapter, with a 4/3 to mft adapter behind that.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

I shot with an OM-1n for over a decade then bought an OM-3. The OM-G was my first SLR. So long as the seals and general condition are good and you can find batteries for them, any are a good buy. Particularly the OM-4 and the OM-2s which were two of the first cameras to feature TTL flash metering (Olympus innovation). Since I've been an OM shooter for so long, I've also amassed a lot of lenses and all are superb. You can mount legacy lenses on E series bodies, but not the other way around. Once you get an eyeful of an OM viewfinder, you'll be sad they no longer make them like that.

well i'm the proud owner of an olympus om-2n md. found it off of ebay at a great price. it looks clean and it works. i just haven't received it yet to verify all of that. . i'm really excited about this camera and it will be used for very specific things since i have to pay to process. will scan and upload some photos when i finally do get some developed.

i did however receive my om 50 1.8 today and it is a thing of beauty. it's so tiny and cute (sorry - that's the girl in me) i love it. also bought the adapter, so everything should arrive this week.

long live film! i think i have a roll of ektar in the fridge, at least it was there. hmmmm

trigger happy geriatric.

I have an OM2, and 2 OM40's. Brilliant cameras. Added to this, buy an OM/e series adaptor and use all your 35mm lenses with your Olympus DSLR. Personally, I rate the Olympus lenses higher than practically anything for sharpness, sauration and quality, particularly the 50mm f1.8 and the 135mm f3.5. I have no doubts you will be happy. You can find OM lenses in abundence and quite cheaply on e Bay

Dave

just received my om-2n in the mail today. i looked into the viewfinder and said ****! what a view. looks like a 62 inch plasma tv compared to my 13 inch on the 620. that's not a knock, i'm just saying, wow!!!

i bought some fuji film just to test the camera, i will probably end up buying 5 rolls of ektar off of ebay or from adorama.

will take some photos in various lighting and run it to my local drug store, just this time. i really don't want them developing my film on a regular. i just want to make sure the camera works and does indeed operate as it should before i send it back, if need be.

as soon as i find a place to mail it off to, i'll be set and ready to shoot seriously. so far, i'm happy with the om-2n. paid a great price for the use i will get out of it. i have one lens and might add one or two more.

I usually get my film from Freestyle. Ten rolls of Kodak Ektar is about $50 shipped to my house in Texas.

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_search.php?rfnc=1102

Congrats on your new camera.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by PWhite214
    I usually get my film from Freestyle. Ten rolls of Kodak Ektar is about $50 shipped to my house in Texas.

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_search.php?rfnc=1102

Congrats on your new camera.

Phil

thanks phil. i did check them out!

The OM2 is a great camera. The zuiko lenses are some of the best going around. The OM system is an excellent one and quite extensive. Good luck with your photographic endeavors - you have made a very good choice. Looking forward to seeing some photos.
    Cameron665

Mamiya RZ67, Zeiss Ikon Nettar, Voigtlander Bessa 66
    Olympus OM1 x2, OM4 x2, OM10
    Voigtlander Vito B, Kiev 4am, Zero Image pinhole
    Pentax K20D

Quote Originally Posted by cameron665
    The OM2 is a great camera. The zuiko lenses are some of the best going around. The OM system is an excellent one and quite extensive. Good luck with your photographic endeavors - you have made a very good choice. Looking forward to seeing some photos.
    will post some of my test shots next week. i'm very happy with it. the viewfinder blows me away. wow.

i'm looking for a wide angle on ebay now, but no rush.

You will love the Ektar, blues to die for. Very fine grain. If scanned right it is as fine as digital. Congrats on the camera and be sure and post some shots with the adapter and old lenses in the Oly forum. We get ask from time to time about the adapters and 4/3rd mounting. I hope to do some test shots with a Voigtlander on my EP-1 soon.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

trigger happy geriatric.

I have to say, I've had some great results from my Olympus 35mm lenses. Focussing can be a little difficult however, and I ended up changing the focussing screen for a split prism type, again bought from ebay. That said, it has been worth it i think.

Dave

added 3 photos to my blog here from the camera. i'll be going out with it to take more photos. i like the way it handles so far.

belated congrats on your OM2 purchase. I have the same model though i'm just a beginner.

I'm just happy there are folks who can guide and provide tips to me while i photograph with my OM2

thanks delta619. i have my om2n with me today and will be taking her out for lunch.

I've been an OM-1 user since 1975. I love everything about them. They're optics are unsurpassed in my experience, although my Pentax 6x7 lens optics rival zuiko lenses.
    The camera, is designed for ease of use, large controls on a small body. When the OM-1 first came out, it was by far, the smallest SLR made.

I picked up an OM10 some time ago on ebay with the Zuiko 50mm 1.8 and a 28mm 2.8 also two zoom lenses one is a Tokina 80-200mm the 2nd is a Super Paragon 75-200mm

I was thinking of giving one of the zooms away what would be the better one to keep
    To me, The goal is to move people, to make people think, but never, never at the expense of the person you're photographing. To laugh with, yes - but never to laugh at. - Lord Snowdon

Martyn
    Olympus E30 HLD 4, E520, E300 & HLD 3
    Olympus OM10 Zuiko OM 28mm 2.8 OM 50mm 1.8 & 70-200mm
    ZD 14-45mm 14-42mm 14-54mm 40-150mm 70-300mm 50-200mm 2.8 / 3.5
    ZD 35mm Macro EX - 25
    Sigma 50-500mm To be Obtained
    Olympus FL36R
    Metz Flash 28AF-30

www.cannoncannonphotography.webs.com

OM fans UNITED!!!!

Over the years, an OM1n and 50mm, 28mm and 135mm lenses helped me make money (weddings, PR shoots, several magazine jobs) and have lots of fun. Recently, since the the digital revolution, the price of used film gear has really dropped. Oly gear and their prized Zuiko lenses are a bargain compared to a few years ago.

Now is the time to grab the lenses, motor drives, flashes ect. And, no static displays here, but real gear to be used!!!! These cameras are jewels and still turn out beautiful photographs.

My son, who is taking photo courses in high school, fell in love with BW film and processing. It's just magic when you see that print come to life right before your eyes. And my daughter, who has bugged me for years for one of my OM's, I got her a cherry condition, black OM1n for her birthday.

For all the arguments for digital photography, sadly, I agree with them all... but film still has that wonderful sense of accomplishment and enjoyment. Oh, for all the naysayers, it's going to be around for quite a while!!!

Hi guys, found this thread via Google and had to sign up and join in .

I treated myself to a D5100 a few months ago and have been really enjoying it. Someone on the intranet at work was selling an OM10 with 50mm F2.8 for peanuts recently so I bought it!

I was hooked! In the month since I've acquired an OM2n () with 50mm F1.8, a 28mm F2.8, a 135mm F3.5 and have a 35-70mm F unknown, a 75-150mm F4 and a T32 flash on the way from ebay - all for less than £250 :thumbsup:.

My first film is due back from the developers soon and the excitement's killing me .

If you can get a 1, 2, 3 or 4 they're better built than the 10, 20, 30 or 40. The shutter on my OM10 sounds like a rat trap going off. The shutter on my OM2n sounds like someone closing the door on a Rolls-Royce .

Thread Information