Film Cameras and Photography Forum

Film Photography Forum Discuss film photography techniques, including darkroom, film types, film cameras, filters, etc. - forum moderator is Xia-Ke.
Read and Write Film Reviews >>
Read and Write 35mm SLR Reviews >>
Read and Write Rangefinder Camera Reviews >>
Read and Write Medium Format Camera Reviews >>

Old Kodak Vigilant

I took both of these pictures with my EOS Canon Rebel xsi. This is a Kodak Vigilant. They were made from 1939-1949.

This one has an Anastigmat f4.5 lens and a Kodamatic shutter. Does anyone recognize this camera? Know anything about it?

It has been in my family forever, and I have had it for over 10 years...but, never even opened the case. (there is a leather field case that goes with it) It has been lost in moves, found and displayed, packed up again...probably one of the reasons she is in such great shape!

It seems like it is pretty dirty...which is to be expected. I would like to take the lens apart and clean the magnifying view finder thing. (i just have no idea what to call it!! but, it is so dirty you can hardly see the reflected image.)

Thanks for any help and advice!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old Kodak Vigilant-kodakvigilant1.jpg   Old Kodak Vigilant-kidalvigilant2.jpg  
    Last edited by stephljones; 05-21-2009 at 08:39 AM. Reason: images not attached

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Old Kodak Vigilant

I have one of these cameras, but it has a different lens, and shutter. Mine too has a very dirty view finder (the one attached to the lens) that you can't see through. I can't tell if the top of the view finder snaps together, or if it's designed so it can be taken apart. I also have an old Kodak Vollenda that has a very similar design. The view finder on the Vollenda has 2 screws on it that makes me think it will come apart.

Do you plan on using this camera? If so, I would take it to a camera repair shop and have someone who knows what they are doing take a look at it. They may be able to clean it up for you and test everything to make sure it works. I have used mine once or twice, but now it's a decoration.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Thread Information