Film Cameras and Photography Forum

Film Photography Forum Discuss film photography techniques, including darkroom, film types, film cameras, filters, etc. - forum moderator is Xia-Ke.
Read and Write Film Reviews >>
Read and Write 35mm SLR Reviews >>
Read and Write Rangefinder Camera Reviews >>
Read and Write Medium Format Camera Reviews >>

old Kodak Vigilant

I took both of these pictures with my EOS Canon Rebel xsi. This is a Kodak Vigilant. They were made from 1939-1949.

This one has an Anastigmat f4.5 lens and a Kodamatic shutter. Does anyone recognize this camera? Know anything about it?

It has been in my family forever, and I have had it for over 10 years...but, never even opened the case. (there is a leather field case that goes with it) It has been lost in moves, found and displayed, packed up again...probably one of the reasons she is in such great shape!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails old Kodak Vigilant-kodakvigilant1.jpg   old Kodak Vigilant-kidalvigilant2.jpg  

photo gallery Mod. starriderrick's Avatar

Re: old Kodak Vigilant

Love the old vintage gear.
    Greg,Aaron are quite the experts on this old film stuff. I would post this in the film forum, see what happens. :O)

Rick

GB1

Yes, nice looking at old cameras. But with digital king now, all film cameras look old fashioned.

I'd use these puppies as a subject with a fantasy background - wild colors, thunderstorms, lightning.. The works! Give it a try, or if you'd like, I can try it and repost.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

GB...go for it! express yourself! I think that is a great idea....I will probably try it too!

can't wait to see what you come up with!

GB1

Hmm.. I couldn't find a fantasy image on the internet w/o possibly violating copyright (and POing someone). So, was limited to just placing the camera on another plain background. Not totally what I wanted to show, but anyway.. Hopefully it sort of exemplifies the idea. The lighting on the camera itself could probably be more exciting too, maybe with individual, thin bean colors?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

My Site

photo gallery Mod. starriderrick's Avatar

Very cool GB1. :thumbsup:

Rick

I love these old c amera shots
    I remember taking one of these apart when I was a kid.
    Never did get it put back together,
    Look through a glass eye.
    Give it a few tries.
    Nothing goes right in its time.
    --Tally Hall--

see...i've been trying to figure how to get it apart!!!

I am embarrassed to say that i got caught up in that thing one day...i guess my OCD kicked in!!!! but...i could not figure out how to get it opened!!! I had never even seen the camera out of its leather case before, didn't even know it had bellows....

It took hours....(hanging head in shame)...literally hours to get that lil sucker figured out. the little Kodak thing acting like a tripod???? I actually sent an email asking someone how to open that.....

I guess i took the pictures, because i was just so damn proud that i had figured it out enough to get it to that point!!!

But...I will find film...and take pictures with it!!!

Thread Information