Film Cameras and Photography Forum

Film Photography Forum Discuss film photography techniques, including darkroom, film types, film cameras, filters, etc. - forum moderator is Xia-Ke.
Read and Write Film Reviews >>
Read and Write 35mm SLR Reviews >>
Read and Write Rangefinder Camera Reviews >>
Read and Write Medium Format Camera Reviews >>
    Just Bob

Talking New to this fourm sticking my head in the door

Hey there
    I am a looong time shutterbug..74' i believe.I went digital about 8 yrears ago Nikon D60-then D90-with an OlympusC8080 as back up..Shoot a lot of digital.

But i never could get over film-i have to save money to buy the best digital glass when i can pick up top shelf 35mm equipment at a very cost effective price.Now i am an Amateur i have a great photo printer Pixma 9000,but i do this because i always wanted to be an artist.Picked up a paint brush very young stayed with it until my early teens.Only had one issue,i was god awful.Picked up my first 35mm and hanging my own prints in my house and people would stop and asked where did i get that its great,i was hooked.

So i have not just been shooting film along side my digital sometimes i shoot it instead..!I have gathered a nice collection in the last year or so of great film cameras.I joined here to find like minded people,,,

Thanks
    Bob

Re: New to this fourm sticking my head in the door

Quote Originally Posted by bobehud
    Hey there
    I am a looong time shutterbug..74' i believe.I went digital about 8 yrears ago Nikon D60-then D90-with an OlympusC8080 as back up..Shoot a lot of digital.

But i never could get over film-i have to save money to buy the best digital glass when i can pick up top shelf 35mm equipment at a very cost effective price.Now i am an Amateur i have a great photo printer Pixma 9000,but i do this because i always wanted to be an artist.Picked up a paint brush very young stayed with it until my early teens.Only had one issue,i was god awful.Picked up my first 35mm and hanging my own prints in my house and people would stop and asked where did i get that its great,i was hooked.

So i have not just been shooting film along side my digital sometimes i shoot it instead..!I have gathered a nice collection in the last year or so of great film cameras.I joined here to find like minded people,,,

Thanks
    Bob
    Welcome, Bob.

I'm pretty much the opposite. Quite new at serious photography and was reborn with digital. We are the same, however, in that we joined this forum for the people.

Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Welcome Bob. I had resisted the digital move until last year when I bought a DSLR. However, like you, on some trips I often just take my film cameras along. I really enjoy the simplicity of film - film speed, aperture and shutter speed. And, of course there are those favourite films of mine - velvia, TriX & Portra VC160.
    I have obtained a few film cameras in the last couple of years, some circa 1934 and most are still going strong. I had my 1954 Voigtlander out a few weeks ago and the guys at my camera club commented that the pictures taken with it where as sharp as a tack. In my opinion the only reason digital has succeeded is because of the convenience factor. Film still has it place and I hope we will be able to still get hold of it in the future. The is another informative site, the Analogue Photography Users Group (www.apug.org) which is solely film orientated. You are amongst friends here.
    Cameron665

Mamiya RZ67, Zeiss Ikon Nettar, Voigtlander Bessa 66
    Olympus OM1 x2, OM4 x2, OM10
    Voigtlander Vito B, Kiev 4am, Zero Image pinhole
    Pentax K20D

drg

Welcome and we will look forward to seeing photographs posted by you! Don't forget to include some in the galleries.

Do you currently prefer Color (any kind) or Black and White film for the majority of your work?

Are you interested in or have you worked with Medium or Large format in addition to 35mm?

Again, welcome to PR!
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Just Bob

Thanks all for the welcome.I shoot both.With B&W i try to only shoot i suppose the best way to put it is 'Art' pictures a theme style.This may seem a bit dark but here in the st.l area when a child dies in a car wreck on a busy city street or a country road people will often times erect a small memorial a wooden cross a stone one,something, one road has 5 of these memorials..but there are a few dozen unfortunately and i am going to shoot them all in B&W.just trying to figure out a tasteful way to do so..it is more about the families that are left behind than those who passed on.
    But i do need some advice..i have kind of become a 35mm hoarder..lol..I told myself pick a system.Canon or Nikon...But noooo i had to pick up Minolta,Canon,Nikon,Olympus..i gotta thin the heard.Im leaning to Canon as i picked up a mint t90 and A1 with a load of great lens.Also some real oldie but goodies FT and Ftb which both still work great.
    Any advice on an OLDER 35mm system to hang on to would be great.I was pure Canon when film was king.

Hi Bob. No good asking me as I am a one-eyed Olympus man(! ) However, in your position I would probably hang onto the Canon or Nikon. Nikon gear still seems to sell for a premium compared to other brands so you will probably still have a market for it if you decide to sell down the track. The other brands Minolta, Pentax etc don't appear to be in as much demand from my experience.

But what a nice dilema to be in.
    Cameron665

Mamiya RZ67, Zeiss Ikon Nettar, Voigtlander Bessa 66
    Olympus OM1 x2, OM4 x2, OM10
    Voigtlander Vito B, Kiev 4am, Zero Image pinhole
    Pentax K20D

Just Bob

Yes it is.Here in St.Louis we have a very active Craigslist and by watching daily i have found some unreal bargains..like a mint FE w 50mm 1.8 'E' series lens with an FM body for $55.00 dollars!
    So i have yet to thin the herd..lol..instead i have taught myself how to do a reseal job on these older cameras have done 5 thus far and all worked out great.

Thread Information