Film Cameras and Photography Forum

Film Photography Forum Discuss film photography techniques, including darkroom, film types, film cameras, filters, etc. - forum moderator is Xia-Ke.
Read and Write Film Reviews >>
Read and Write 35mm SLR Reviews >>
Read and Write Rangefinder Camera Reviews >>
Read and Write Medium Format Camera Reviews >>

Thread: New Film Camera

New Film Camera

Hey guys, I am looking for a new film camera. I have been shooting with a Minolta X700 for years and since I have so many lenses for it I have not looked for anything new. I have noticed it has been getting a bit inconsistent and the shutter looks like it has slowed down.

I want to pick up a new film camera but not sure which direction to turn. Was thinking of Canon AE1 but then again, I kind of want to look for a newer digital film camera. Trying to stay under $500. I mostly just shoot still life and street photography. Any suggestions would be helpful. Some one suggested I look at the Canon 1V

ALSO, If anyone has old cameras they are willing to sell, PM me. I am just going to be looking on Ebay and Craigslist for them anyway.
    Marco Arreguin

All critique/advice welcome.
    Growing every day.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: New Film Camera

There are so many good deals to be found on used 35mm gear that you could go with just about any brand you wanted. Since you mentioned Canon and digital, I would suggest something in the EOS line so that the lenses will be interchangeable with a Canon DSLR.

You should be able to find a pretty good deal on even some of the higher end EOS bodies like the 1V you mentioned. I have an EOS Elan 7n that I bought on ebay a few years back that I really like. It's not top of the line, but it's nicer than the 35mm Rebels.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Before I went to a DSLR I wanted a Nikon F5 soooo bad. Great cameras with loads of features. It maybe to big for the streets.
    http://www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Auto...990208130?r=FE
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Yeah, I looked up the Canon 1V and saw some going for a lot cheaper than I thought. Definitely in the affordable range. I was just recommended a Canon but not looking specifically for a Canon.

@greg I saw the Nikon F5 and it is a big camera but sounds like a great one. Great suggestion.
    Marco Arreguin

Growing every day.

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

If you're going Nikon, go with the F4 rather than the F5.

The F4 is a *ground breaking* camera, matrix metering, full support of every Nikon lens (*ever* some do prevent certain functions from working...but worth the sacrifice). Plus you can kill a man with it.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

@axle - which is good because I do spend a lot of time in Downtown Santa Ana. I feel like a sitting duck with my camera out at times. lol

I will look into it. The F5 sounded really cool and I found some really good prices on it. I will look into the F4 also. I am sure they are about equal in price.

Thanks.
    Marco Arreguin

Growing every day.

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Kind of sounds like you are looking for a smaller, quiet camera, like a rangefinder..
    I have a Voigtlander Bessa R2A, they also do an R3 and R4 all of which come in A for "apeture priority" o M for totally manual.
    You can find them new and used, and are very resonably priced.
    Good Luck!
    Brian
    :thumbsup:
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

I really like the Voigtlander but it seems more out of my price range. I am trying to stay under my budget as best as possible. I love rangefinders but I already have one I like a lot. Since my SLR is not looking too strong I want to replace it with another 35mm SLR. Great suggestion though. I was considering purchasing that camera a while back but decided to just save my penny's and get a Hassleblad. I fell in love with a Hassleblad and have been wanting one for a very long time. I like to shoot film more than digital and just want a SLR.

Smaller camera would be better but the suggestions above just seem like great buys.
    Marco Arreguin

Growing every day.

Quote Originally Posted by DGK*CRONE
    ...I have been shooting with a Minolta X700 for years and since I have so many lenses for it I have not looked for anything new...
    Do you like the lenses you have? If so, why not get another Minolta? I've used several Minolta bodies and always liked them for their bright viewfinders and small size. Why not try another X-700 or an even cheaper X-370. Minolta lenses are great and they're cheap.

If I were to buy into another manual focus film SLR system, I'd go for Olympus.

Good luck,
    Paul

I just picked up a Minolta Maxxum 7, its metering functions are brilliantly interfaced on the body, has a big bright metering readout display on the back, every single function has a dedicated button, bright viewfinder, solid build, has wireless flash function and works with modern minolta/sony hotshoe flash system and wireless. Can be purchased ~ $180-$240

You could also get the MDMA adapter, which will mount your old minolta lens to the body, but I think you lose aperture metering control or something? In any event, I think if your lens collection is big enough, and autofocus isn't something you are particularly interested in, an older manual focus minolta is the best way to go.

I spoke to this guy at a local camera store and he was telling me that a lot of the lenses I had were not going to be supported by other Minolta cameras. It was the first thing I looked into when I started noticing my camera failing. After that, I just kind of gave up on Minolta. I have a Nikon D70 I shoot with now. I wanted to get the a Nikon just to begin collecting lenses for Nikon. I was thinking of a Canon EOS for the same reason. Figured that if I went to buy a new digital camera I can get something that would be compatible with whatever lenses I have for my film camera. at least, that was the idea I got from the guy at the camera store. Those are the ones I have mostly looked at because there are so many of those at my local camera stores. (Used and new)
    Marco Arreguin

Growing every day.

My vote would be the Nikon F4, take a look at Ken Rockwells site on lens compatibility of the F4. I use equal number of manual and auto focus lens. I bought a 28mm manual from a fellow in Japan years ago super cheap, it was probably make in the early 70's. The lens has a well worn finish but takes sharp pictures. Another Nikon is the N 90s, much lighter to carry, less expensive and I shoot mine a lot on P, takes great pictures. There is a lot of information on the net, and ask lots of questions. Good luck finding that right camera.
    David
    Lately it occurs to me: :idea: What a long, strange trip it's been. "Truckin" Greatful Dead

Minolta only has the two mounts, MD and A, manual and autofocus. Wonder why that guy said that?

But yeah - it doesn't make sense to gain a library of film lens that are incompatible with your digital system. What MD Minolta lens do you have anyway?

I recently purchased a Nikon F4 on Ebay. Got a GREAT deal on it. It said it was fully functional with only light cosmetic wear. I am going to receive it late this week... thinking, Thursday or Friday. I never thought I would buy that camera for this cheap. I guess I got lucky scouting auctions out before deciding on one to bid on. Also expecting a lens in the mail from a different purchase. Can't wait.

@anbesol - Yeah, I felt like that sold me more towards Nikon. It was hard enough to get the cash for the digital camera. As for my lenses...

Kiron 28-85mm 2.8-3.8
    Seikanon 500mm
    Minolta 50mm 1.7
    Promaster 70-210mm 4-5.6
    and one 2X teleconverter

all Manual focus. I just started using AF when I began shooting with my D70.

I was looking at the Minolta 7000 and the guy told me that my lenses are not compatible. Suggested I look at another camera or prepare my self to buy a new lens.
    Marco Arreguin

Growing every day.

When I was in the Air Force, all we shot for 35mm were Nikon. I've used every Nikon body from the FM through the F-5. Great cameras, great system. For my own personal film cameras, I've always been partial to Contax. The last film camera I own is an Aria and it's a fantastic body. The Zeiss glass can't be beat, fantastic clarity with no lens distortions. Uniformly sharp throughout the zoom range, but you do pay for the quality. I've got the 28-70, and the 70-200 and they weren't cheap. I've thought about picking up an RTS III used, but they still command a hefty price. IMHO, the RTS III is the finest 35mm camera ever made.

I was looking for a new 35mm slr at the beginning of the year. I came across a brand new Nikon F65 on Amazon that included the body, battery grip, 28-105 Tamron lens for $299.00. It takes excellent pics and is easy to use. Used ones are available for much less.

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DGK*CRONE
    I recently purchased a Nikon F4 on Ebay. Got a GREAT deal on it. It said it was fully functional with only light cosmetic wear. I am going to receive it late this week... thinking, Thursday or Friday. I never thought I would buy that camera for this cheap. I guess I got lucky scouting auctions out before deciding on one to bid on. Also expecting a lens in the mail from a different purchase. Can't wait.
    Welcome to the club! I was using my F4 exclusively last week to shoot off three of my last four rolls of Kodachrome. And maybe this saturday as well, if my Contax G2 hasn't arrived. ( My Leica's in for repairs so I can't really use that )
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Thread Information