Film Cameras and Photography Forum

Film Photography Forum Discuss film photography techniques, including darkroom, film types, film cameras, filters, etc. - forum moderator is Xia-Ke.
Read and Write Film Reviews >>
Read and Write 35mm SLR Reviews >>
Read and Write Rangefinder Camera Reviews >>
Read and Write Medium Format Camera Reviews >>

Thread: Into the Tank.

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Into the Tank.

Alright, so just I had to share....I have learned how to develop my own film, and print in a darkroom this past weekend.

Julie ^_^

My wonderful teacher, Julie, invited me over to her place where her dad has a darkroom that they recently completed (after being used as a storage room for several years). So on Saturday morning we ventured out to an abandoned pit mine in Marmora (yes, she's like me and explores abandoned stuff.) Armed with 5 rolls of TMax 400 (400TMY-2) and our Yashica TLRs, we shot off two rolls each.

Here are my favourites.

Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Re: Into the Tank.

Great stuff Alex. It is one of the most wonderful experiences in the world to develop your first roll of film and than to see that first print come to life. So glad you have had the experience.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Photos are beautiful! I think it is amazing how one can really tell the difference between b/w film and converting digital.

I hope to also someday convert some film just for the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    Great stuff Alex. It is one of the most wonderful experiences in the world to develop your first roll of film and than to see that first print come to life. So glad you have had the experience.
    Thanks. Oh man it was so cool to see the prints actually form on the paper, it's pretty awesome. I hope to do some more darkroom work.

Quote Originally Posted by Flybye
    Photos are beautiful! I think it is amazing how one can really tell the difference between b/w film and converting digital.

I hope to also someday convert some film just for the experience
    Thanks, I use a Epson V500 scanner, professional mode, at 800DPI with no special filters from the scanner, post is done in Photoshop CS3

drg

Looking forward to more! Fire up that bathroom darkroom and go for it!

Remember with medium format, you don't 'need' an enlarger to make scanable prints. Contact prints will scan very nicely, at least for web use. Then you can see if your scanned negatives are working out similarly in computer post-processing to what you'd get from printing optically.
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Looking good Alex! Great to see you're starting to develop your on film now. Be careful though, it is a very slippery slope from here. Before you know you'll be losing a bathroom to make room for a darkroom ;)
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

Man, nice work. That is something it is safe to say I will never do. Cool skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Xia_Ke
    Looking good Alex! Great to see you're starting to develop your on film now. Be careful though, it is a very slippery slope from here. Before you know you'll be losing a bathroom to make room for a darkroom ;)
    Thanks. Yes, I have the urge to do it, however the parents have said "not in my house" so my nearest darkroom is two hours away....or I just wait a couple years when I get a place of my own :P

Thread Information