Film Cameras and Photography Forum

Film Photography Forum Discuss film photography techniques, including darkroom, film types, film cameras, filters, etc. - forum moderator is Xia-Ke.
Read and Write Film Reviews >>
Read and Write 35mm SLR Reviews >>
Read and Write Rangefinder Camera Reviews >>
Read and Write Medium Format Camera Reviews >>

Ilford Photo Involvement In Development Of New Polaroid Style Instant Film

http://ilfordphoto.com/pressroom/article.asp?n=113

ILFORD PHOTO INVOLVEMENT IN DEVELOPMENT OF NEW POLAROID STYLE INSTANT FILM

26th January 2009

ILFORD PHOTO INVOLVEMENT IN DEVELOPMENT OF NEW POLAROID STYLE INSTANT FILM

Press Statement
    19th January 2009

After the decision by Polaroid in 2008 to cease production of its instant films, a much-loved method of photography looked set to disappear forever. However, leading photo-imaging company, HARMAN technology Limited can confirm it is now involved in a new venture which could deliver welcome news to millions of Polaroid instant camera fans across the world.

The manufacturer - whose brands include the ILFORD analogue range, HARMAN PHOTO inkjet papers and KENTMERE PHOTOGRAPHIC - is supporting ‘The Impossible Project’ which is being spearheaded by a Dutch business known as Impossible b.v.

Formed by a group of businessmen and a number of ex-Polaroid employees, Impossible b.v has signed a 10-year lease on part of Polaroid’s former factory in Enschede, Holland and acquired some of Polaroid’s original production machinery for producing 600, SX70 and Image films.

As the business aims not to rebuild Polaroid integral film but to develop a new product with new and improved characteristics, it has turned to HARMAN and its 130 years of experience in the production of analogue films for product development guidance and additional insight on manufacturing methods.

HARMAN’s product development team has confirmed the manufacturer is able to create the desired instant film but negotiations continue as to the extent of future involvement.

As Howard Hopwood, HARMAN technology’s Chairman, points out: “Recognising the almost cult status and huge following of Polaroid instant cameras, we would love to be involved in any initiative which preserves their future use. To this end, we did try to take on production of Polaroid instant film in the latter half of 2008 but could not reach a commercially viable agreement with the Polaroid Corporation.

“The Impossible Project represents a new glimmer of hope but we must also stress that discussions are still in the early stages. We would like nothing more than to reach a satisfactory agreement and should this happen, a prototype could be unveiled by late 2009 with a view to full scale production commencing in 2010.”
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

drg

Re: Ilford Photo Involvement In Development Of New Polaroid Style Instant Film

I wonder if they are going to try and support all the pack styles? There may be a market surge in repairs and tuneups for your old SX-70!

Spectra packs would be handy as I've got all this old printer technology lying around I couldn't bear to part with. It was fun to print out a 'copy' of photo on Polaroid film for someone.

The business model they are looking at would be interesting to know. How much would they have to sell? I mean Polaroid couldn't do it and make it profitable after financial reorganization . . .
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

It will be interesting to see how it works out for them and if they can make a go at it. I hope that we'll eventually see Type 55 again as I've really wanted to try it. Unfortunately I didn't get into LF soon enough and now that it's no longer being made, remaining stocks are going for insane amounts of money.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Xia_Ke View Post

After the decision by Polaroid in 2008 to cease production of its instant films, a much-loved method of photography looked set to disappear forever.
    Well, you can always use digital tools to simulate the look of discontinued films. Some Photoshop actions work very nice and with very realistic results.

Nice project!

Thread Information