Film Cameras and Photography Forum

Film Photography Forum Discuss film photography techniques, including darkroom, film types, film cameras, filters, etc. - forum moderator is Xia-Ke.
Read and Write Film Reviews >>
Read and Write 35mm SLR Reviews >>
Read and Write Rangefinder Camera Reviews >>
Read and Write Medium Format Camera Reviews >>

Help fixing up an old Konica!

I have an old Konica t-3 with a 50mm f1.4 lens and I would like to get a battery, some film, and start learning all it's feature. I am familiar with digital photography but this is my first film camera passed down to me from my father. Any tips or knowledge of the camera is much appreciated! Thank you!

drg

Re: Help fixing up an old Konica!

Hi,

Welcome to Photography Review!

That is probably a mercury cell powered camera for the meter. First you will need to determine which battery it originally took and then check for a modern adapter/converter like those from C.R.I.S.

Getting the camera serviced for CLA (cleaning lubrication adjustment) might be worth considering if you are seriously contemplating using it very much. The Konica's were tanks, very solid cameras. Some of them with metal shutters were rather noisy if I recall, very noisy.

Consider purchasing a separate meter as the one in the camera may not function even with a new battery. One reason to get the camera cleaned is that if an old battery stayed in there too long it may have corroded some of the circuitry and then there is no need to even consider using the in-camera meter. Just have it checked and cleaned, shoot a roll or two of film (we can get to that later) and see if works well enough to be a keeper.

That is a nice lens once any mold, fungus, etc is removed and it is cleaned and lubed properly.

I'll look for a web site of information if you haven't found one yet!

Good luck !
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Thread Information