Film Cameras and Photography Forum

Film Photography Forum Discuss film photography techniques, including darkroom, film types, film cameras, filters, etc. - forum moderator is Xia-Ke.
Read and Write Film Reviews >>
Read and Write 35mm SLR Reviews >>
Read and Write Rangefinder Camera Reviews >>
Read and Write Medium Format Camera Reviews >>
    GB1

Film hanging in there

I already posted this in the Viewfinder, but it is about film

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110530/...ilm_s_fade_out
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Re: Film hanging in there

Hopefully film will be around a few more years. It think film is still king in some countries.
    It is getting more expensive to shoot for certain.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

GB1

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary View Post
    Hopefully film will be around a few more years. It think film is still king in some countries.
    It is getting more expensive to shoot for certain.
    It is expensive, no doubt, but I'm not sure it's more so than before -- perhaps we're just noticing it now?

Some guy at work who got into photography several years ago started w/ a digital camera (he's a computer guy, so it was easy for him to do the transfer of images, etc). I used to show him my Medium Format film, etc. He was shocked about the price of that: ~ $4 a roll for 15 shots (on a 120mm roll for 645 camera), then another $5 or so to develop, then prints if I did them. He was confused as to how anyone back then could ever have afforded to do photography?

My Site

GB cost was the biggest factor in my giving up MF. I really miss it, but I hiked into some waterfalls last fall carrying both my E3 and Mamiya 645 and when it was all said and done the Olympus hung right in there with the IQ. After waiting two weeks to get the film back, having to scan the negatives, and the cost I figure shooting the E6 cost me a dollar a shot. It wouldn't take long to pay for a new DSLR with that kind of cost.
    But I still use my Leica and develop my own B&Ws. Hopefully for a few more years.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Hello, Since I am still new, I would like to out my two cents worth about film vs digital. Right now, at least for me film is still "cheap", as are the cameras. I recently had my camera locked up on me. I had to go out and get a new camera, I as able to pick a used Vivitar 3800n for about $95. I simply cannot afford a good digital (PK mount, if and when I do, why by new lenses) camara at this time. I think film will still be around, because not everyone can do digital.

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

I think, that film will still be around through the rest of my life time..
    I am a 40 something photography that has been doing photography for nearly 27 years now, shoot film exclusively.
    It will become more challenging to process, commercially anyway, the lab I take mine to, only does film two days a week now, but I think more and more people will start to process their film at home..
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

GB1

The last custom lab here in San Diego, Chrome Digital, is reorganizing now. They're shutting down their film processing offering and only doing printing. The original owners are retiring and some of the former staff will carry on under the same name.

Film volume was one issue, but another important thing was that their main machine is designed to use a particular type of 35mm slide frame, and the German company that makes that type just went out of business. I pick up my last roll tomorrow, and it will be unmounted.

Thankfully there are several camera stores left here that can develop film, so I can still get my 120mm film processed.

I think the new Chrome Digital may do OK w/ printing only. They're cutting down to half the square footage they currently have and only half the workers.

G

My Site

It will be around for a long time for professional use. Will it be cheap....? No. Some people still want to have film and ready to pay extra for it.

Nice thread and informations shared.

Gotta tell ya, I love my DSLR and the images I've made. But no matter how good they look on my computer screen or even a "new-fangled" High-Def TV screen, there really is nothing like showing a killer Fujichrome on a projector screen in a darkened room.
    I always bought my slide film with Fuji mailers. Never was disappointed with the results. I really am loving my D700. But I'm not yet ready to "hang-up" my F4 and Fuji Provia.

Shooting black and white can still be relatively inexpensive. I have to mail order (or internet order) 120 roll film, and non-c41 process 35mm. About $3.00 per roll for arista, on up to 5 or 6 for Kodak and others. But it is fun to go shoot some photos, not be able to see what I really have until I spool it into the reels, develop and then scan the ones I like.

I love my DSLR too, but my older cameras are getting some use.

Phil

nice share

hello there, I have a small problem with films. I'm a new photographer and I just bought a Kiev 4. With my Pentax K1000, i was using Kodak Max 400 (24 poses films) for outdoor pictures, but they dosent seems to fit in my kiev camera. I don't know if one of you know wich film should I use , but it would be a great help !

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by sirbow View Post
    hello there, I have a small problem with films. I'm a new photographer and I just bought a Kiev 4. With my Pentax K1000, i was using Kodak Max 400 (24 poses films) for outdoor pictures, but they dosent seems to fit in my kiev camera. I don't know if one of you know wich film should I use , but it would be a great help !

Thanks in advance
    It should work try this link.

Kiev-4 and kiev-4 A Ccamera manual

Sony a99/a7R

ok, thanks alot !

I will try another film.
    Oddly, the begining of hte Kodak Max 400 is too big to enter the catridge.

Film prices are through the roof here - $80+ for a 5 pack of 35mm 160NC Portra. But having said that on a recent shoot I took along a Minolta Dynax with a roll of the above mentioned film and the IQ and color was amazing. I'm seriously thinking of going back to film as the workflow is a breeze and for some reason my keeper ratio is significantly higher - my models must know how much each roll of film costs ;))
    Last edited by cameron665; 12-29-2011 at 04:44 AM. Reason: typo
    Cameron665

Mamiya RZ67, Zeiss Ikon Nettar, Voigtlander Bessa 66
    Olympus OM1 x2, OM4 x2, OM10
    Voigtlander Vito B, Kiev 4am, Zero Image pinhole
    Pentax K20D

GB1

Quote Originally Posted by cameron665 View Post
    Film prices are through the roof here - $80+ for a 5 pack of 35mm 160NC Portra. But having said that on a recent shoot I took along a Minolta Dynax with a roll of the above mentioned film and the IQ and color was amazing. I'm seriously thinking of going back to film as the workflow is a breeze and for some reason my keeper ratio is significantly higher - my models must know how much each roll of film costs ;))
    Interesting how your keeper ratio is higher... And somehow that doesn't surprise me. If you act like every shot's your last, you line up your ducks better before you fire.

My Site

i get mine at half the price

5 pack of 35mm 160NC Portra = $40

Thread Information