Film Cameras and Photography Forum

Film Photography Forum Discuss film photography techniques, including darkroom, film types, film cameras, filters, etc. - forum moderator is Xia-Ke.
Read and Write Film Reviews >>
Read and Write 35mm SLR Reviews >>
Read and Write Rangefinder Camera Reviews >>
Read and Write Medium Format Camera Reviews >>

Contax 645 Camera Problem, Please help! :)

I have a Contax 645. I have the battery grip for it so I power it with 4 rechargeable AA batteries.

The problem: sometimes without any explanation the yellow exposure scale in the viewfinder goes blank. The f/ numbers and shutter speed info disappear in the viewfinder and the whole camera goes blank. I try to press the shutter button but all I can hear is a clicking noise. I keep trying and all of the sudden the viewfinder is back and I can see the exposure, shutter speed, etc. I have tried to change the batteries and replace them with freshly charged ones but I don't think that the low battery is the problem. I have another Contax 645 and that works without problems with the batteries.

Did this ever happen to you? How can I fix it? I can't rely on the camera if it just decides not to show me exposure, shutter speed, etc info. It always comes back but some times it takes 4-5 minutes... What to do?

Thanks for helping!

Re: Contax 645 Camera Problem, Please help! :)

I guess not too many people use this particular camera...

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

It could be related to the lens, have you used the same lens on both cameras? Does the same thing occure? Check that, ensure that you're using both bodies in the same area.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Quote Originally Posted by Axle View Post
    It could be related to the lens, have you used the same lens on both cameras? Does the same thing occure? Check that, ensure that you're using both bodies in the same area.
    IT was the contact ports between the lens and the camera. I have cleaned them and the camera works fine now. At least now... I have used my daughter's school erasers and cleaned them in alcohol after that. So far it takes amazing photos without jamming. I am still hesitant to take it to work with me. I will test it for a few weeks before I fully trust it!

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Excellent! Glad that you got it working! I personally love the 645 format, I use a Pentax 645 myself as a workhorse Medium Format Camera, a Bronica SQ-Ai if I need more real estate in my shoots.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Thread Information