Film Cameras and Photography Forum

Film Photography Forum Discuss film photography techniques, including darkroom, film types, film cameras, filters, etc. - forum moderator is Xia-Ke.
Read and Write Film Reviews >>
Read and Write 35mm SLR Reviews >>
Read and Write Rangefinder Camera Reviews >>
Read and Write Medium Format Camera Reviews >>

Cannon EOS 5000 viewfinder

Hello, everyone.

I've recently bought a second hand Cannon EOS 5000 35mm film SLR body. When i look through the viewfinder without a lens attached to the camera, everything is Blurry. Is this normal? Does it need a lens attached to the camera for the viewfinder to function properly? Don't want to buy a lens for it, only to find that the camera is broken.

Thank you in advance for your help

trigger happy geriatric.

Re: Cannon EOS 5000 viewfinder

Hiya,

This seems perfectly normal. If the shutter seems to fire normally, i.e. the mirror flips up and the shutter opens for approximately the correct time, and then the mirror drops down again then you need to attach a lens. Do you know of a camera shop locally that might have second hand equipment for sale? Maybe you could attach a lens there to try it before buying, and even the "eye" of the assistant might reassure you all seems ok. Good luck.

Dave

Thanks for your quick reply Dave.

The shutter does appear to fire normally so I'm guessing that all will be fine once i fit a lens. Is it likely that the blurriness is because the camera obviously isn't designed to operate without a lens fitted, so that when a lens is fitted, this then corrects the optics?

Do camera shops still sell the older Cannon EOS 'EF' mount lenses? As I'm aware the camera is quite an old model.

trigger happy geriatric.

Withot a lens, you would see nothing but light coming throught the focussing screen, usually just an even bright white light across the view finder. EF mount lenses should be around, there were enough slr's sold in the world to almost guarantee it.

Take a look on ebay, thats hould give you some idea of whats around and how much.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by suboffender
    Do camera shops still sell the older Cannon EOS 'EF' mount lenses? As I'm aware the camera is quite an old model.
    Yes, it's the same lens mount as digital EOS cameras use. Just don't use the EF-S lenses, they'll break it.

Thread Information