Film Cameras and Photography Forum

Film Photography Forum Discuss film photography techniques, including darkroom, film types, film cameras, filters, etc. - forum moderator is Xia-Ke.
Read and Write Film Reviews >>
Read and Write 35mm SLR Reviews >>
Read and Write Rangefinder Camera Reviews >>
Read and Write Medium Format Camera Reviews >>
    Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Camera ID help please

My wife gave me this for my B-day on the 1st, then I left for a trip on the 2nd so I haven't had time to investigate exactly what it is I am now the proud owner of. Other than knowings it's a Leica screw mount, I have know idea what this is. I did find a place to look up the serial # but it was in German and I have no clue what it said. It gave me 2 options to search and one came back with a date of 1935, the other 1937. Anyone have a good resource where I can find more info on this camera?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Camera ID help please-img_0773.jpg   Camera ID help please-img_0774.jpg   Camera ID help please-img_0775.jpg  
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Re: Camera ID help please

Try the following link. This is by no means detailed but may provide some info. http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-174.html

Nice camera by the way.

Regards
    Cameron665

Mamiya RZ67, Zeiss Ikon Nettar, Voigtlander Bessa 66
    Olympus OM1 x2, OM4 x2, OM10
    Voigtlander Vito B, Kiev 4am, Zero Image pinhole
    Pentax K20D

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I looked at google images for Leica m1s, 2s, and 3s and it matches the m3 thought the images vary somewhat.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Thanks Cameron and Frog. From what I have been able to track down, this is a Leica III from 1937. Haven't had the time to dig any deeper yet.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Yep a IIIa, I sold mine a few months ago and really regret it. I am currently looking for a replacement. You have to trim the leader on the roll of film before you load it or it can damage the camera. You can google how almost anywhere. You need a Leica LTM lens to use on it but you can get a Jupiter, Russian lens, much cheaper.
    You focus in the left finder then compose in the right one. The value of these cameras have went up slightly since I sold mine so I think I would hang on to it.
    You can also use Voigtlander screw mount lenes as well with this. Tuna uses a Voigtlander 35mm for about 90% of his work.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Thanks for the info Greg. What's the difference between a III and a IIIa? The site I found said it was a III and that is what the guy selling it had it listed as.

I do plan on getting a lens for it at some point, but I'm really not in a hurry to spend much money on this. If/when the camera does get used, it won't be much. It's more of a piece to add to my collection of antique cameras, but I do want to play with it a little.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

drg

Check out Stephen Gandy's Camera Quest . This is a site with a world of information about all things rangefinder and a very good source for lenses, parts, repairs, etc. Here's a direct link to the serial number page:
    http://www.cameraquest.com/ltmnum.htm

The big feature of the IIIa was a 1/1000th top speed for the shutter. This set the mark for the rest of the 35mm camera world for many years.

See this Page for more details.
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Yours actually might be a III, I thought mine had 1/1000s on it and that was the difference. You can pick up a Jupiter or Industar 5cm for it on ebay fairly cheap. Less than $50.00 and maybe cheaper than that. If you shoot anything different than 5cm or 50mm you will need a hot shoe finder. So your best bet will probably be 5cm. the old Russian lenses are very good lenses for the money. Some of the old LTM and Leica lenses actually have character unlike newer lenses.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Thread Information