Film Cameras and Photography Forum

Film Photography Forum Discuss film photography techniques, including darkroom, film types, film cameras, filters, etc. - forum moderator is Xia-Ke.
Read and Write Film Reviews >>
Read and Write 35mm SLR Reviews >>
Read and Write Rangefinder Camera Reviews >>
Read and Write Medium Format Camera Reviews >>

Talking Camera from 1913? Information please...

I just bought a camera for my "old camera" collection. On the camera it says "No. 2-C Folding Autographic Brownie". Im trying to do research and find more information on it but my problem is, I would like to see if it works and the back says "Use Autographic Film No. A-150" and I cant find anywhere that I could find this film online. The date says Jan. 7, 1913. Is it too old to find film for? Is there anywhere I could find an appraisal just to see if I got a good deal on this? I paid $5 for it at a yard sale so Im guessing its worth more just because it is an antique and its in amazingly good condition for its age. It came with a case that is also in good condition but its missing the leather strap and the lid but its still there!! Any information on this would be GREATLY appreciated. Th:thumbsup: anks!!!

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Camera from 1913? Information please...

Welcome to the Forum. A quick search of the web and I was able to determine that your camera takes 130 size film. I was also able to fine a forum post from a few years ago where someone else was looking for 130 film. This is a response that they received:

I also was looking for 130 film. After doing some looking around and having no luck I emailed Kodak. this was their response: "Regrettably, the film size needed for your particular camera is no longer being manufactured. Cameras using size 130 film have not been manufactured for a good many years now, and customer requests have dwindled to a very low level. Many camera stores prefer not to stock such film because, in many cases, it becomes outdated on their shelves before being purchased. As much as we wish it otherwise, it became economically unfeasible to continue making that size film. We do not manufacture a film that can be used in its place, nor do we know of any way to modify your camera in order to accept existing film sizes."
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Thumbs up Re: Camera from 1913? Information please...

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    Welcome to the Forum. A quick search of the web and I was able to determine that your camera takes 130 size film. I was also able to fine a forum post from a few years ago where someone else was looking for 130 film. This is a response that they received:

I also was looking for 130 film. After doing some looking around and having no luck I emailed Kodak. this was their response: "Regrettably, the film size needed for your particular camera is no longer being manufactured. Cameras using size 130 film have not been manufactured for a good many years now, and customer requests have dwindled to a very low level. Many camera stores prefer not to stock such film because, in many cases, it becomes outdated on their shelves before being purchased. As much as we wish it otherwise, it became economically unfeasible to continue making that size film. We do not manufacture a film that can be used in its place, nor do we know of any way to modify your camera in order to accept existing film sizes."
    I want to thank you for this information I really do appreciate it. I have found another forum where someone was trying to convert 120 film and/or 35mm film to use in this camera and they were talking about how it can be done. Granted I am a beginner and I dont understand what they are saying they are doing to the film but apparently it can be done. I just wish I could understand it!! lol. Thanks for the info though!

Re: Camera from 1913? Information please...

I did have an article on these but threw it out in a clean up. If you didn't already know the autographic refers to a stylus that comes with the camera and is used to write photo details onto the film through a small window. I'm afraid that is all I can remember.
    I believe they are quite collectable and depending on condition and whether you have the stylus could be valued from $60 up to $100. So you have got a bargain.
    Cameron665

Mamiya RZ67, Zeiss Ikon Nettar, Voigtlander Bessa 66
    Olympus OM1 x2, OM4 x2, OM10
    Voigtlander Vito B, Kiev 4am, Zero Image pinhole
    Pentax K20D

Thread Information