Film Cameras and Photography Forum

Film Photography Forum Discuss film photography techniques, including darkroom, film types, film cameras, filters, etc. - forum moderator is Xia-Ke.
Read and Write Film Reviews >>
Read and Write 35mm SLR Reviews >>
Read and Write Rangefinder Camera Reviews >>
Read and Write Medium Format Camera Reviews >>
    Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

AGFA Scala 200 B&W Slide film

Just wondering if anyone has tried this film? I think it's the only B&W slide film on the market, and I beleive there is only 1 lab in North America that processes it. I have wanted to try some ever since I first heard about it a year or so ago, but never have. At almost $13/roll (35mm) and another $10 for developing plus shipping cost, it's not inexpensive. I do have to order some stuff from B&H in the next week or two, so maybe I will order a roll.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Re: AGFA Scala 200 B&W Slide film

Mike,
    I am guessing they use these guys, http://www.dr5.com for the processing, because the prices you quote are the same.

If you look in Freestyle's site, you'll find this and other B&W slides films.

Let us know what you come with, I have never done this.
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

drg

I'd check with the lab to see if they still will handle it. The business problems that AGFA underwent in the past couple of years would make me suspicious. They may be working on a stockpile of chemicals that is matched to the 'remaining' film. B/W film has a much longer storage life and it may not expire yet, even though not manufactured??

It used to be a neat emulsion and came in other ISO speeds. I haven't used it at all in it looks like 5 or more years. Probably a lot longer, just don't have the records for that stuff handy at the moment. Polaroid at one time had instant develop positive films in B/W that were tremendously contrast. There was some convergence in chemical process between the two but I never knew a lot about that chemistry.

Let us know if you try it, but I'd check expirations (even from a reputable dealer) and be sure someone can process it in a meaningful time frame. Like less the two months!
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Michael, PLEASE let me know is you end up shooting some. I have a 5 pack of it in 120 in my freezer. Been wanting to try some but, have been hesitant given the cost of processing. In doing some research before though, I found mention of people running in Rodinal. I'll have to see if I can dig up some more info the possibilities of developing it in traditional B&W chemicals.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

I've never done any B&W slide film, but I wanted to mention another option. Kodak makes a Tmax 100 Direct Positive film developing kit that let's you develop normal Tmax 100 film as a positive image. Might be worth a try...

Here's the PDF:
    http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...bs/j87/j87.pdf

Paul

Several years ago when I first heard of Scala, there were very few places developing it. Looks like DR5 still does it from their website but it might be worth verifying. I wasn't aware of any other film like it but did find this one at Freestyle since Brian brought it up.

I'd be interested in hearing a review on either one!

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Thanks for the info everyone. I have heard for Freestyle a lot in the past, but haven't checked them out in a long time.

The company that I found that develops Scala is called Main Photo & Imaging Service out of Santa Ana CA.

If you look at the B&H website, you can actually buy prepaid Film Processing Mailers from Main Photo.

Here is a link to all of the Scala stuff at B&H. For anyone shooting 120, they have some stuff that expired in January for $4.95.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...CALA+FILM&ci=0
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I work for a time in the inspection department of a plate shop. I was able to bring home some xray film clipings (the holders where not the same size as the film, film too long) I did some contact prints of some of my negatives. It was contrasty and grainy.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thread Information