Film Cameras and Photography Forum

Film Photography Forum Discuss film photography techniques, including darkroom, film types, film cameras, filters, etc. - forum moderator is Xia-Ke.
Read and Write Film Reviews >>
Read and Write 35mm SLR Reviews >>
Read and Write Rangefinder Camera Reviews >>
Read and Write Medium Format Camera Reviews >>

Thread: 35mm Container

35mm Container

Can anyone tell me the name of a container that will hold 35mm film in their canisters or even without?

I have a load of film but need a good storage box for them. Does anyone know the correct name for these or direct me to them to buy on the internet? I cant seem to find them!

Thanks, John

Re: 35mm Container

Look at the local grocery store, or Walmart, for storage containers. I use heavy duty plastic containers with snap on lids for film and other accessories. Look in the aisle that has sandwich bags etc.

Phil

Yeah that's what I'm using now but 'Im wondering if there are any specific for film to hold?

Well, I looked on EBAY, "Film Storage", nothing in the listings. I tried

Phil

drg

There have been film holders for camera case systems including one from TAMRAC and their S*A*S or Strap Attachment System. These were more for carrying film with you than long term storage.

Are you planning on storing unused film? If so why not just keep it in its original containers until used? Ziplocs or sealable storage bags work great in the refrigerator/freezer until the film is needed.

Pro-packs of film have long come in boxes that work pretty well for storage though they get soggy after months in a regular fridge. Tupperware containers can even be pressed in to service.

If you are concerned about other aspects just be sure to keep the film in a dark place or put it in a paper sack to help keep out light. If you store the film in an airtight (or supposedly so) container consider putting in a desiccant gel pack moisture controller. Like those silicon beaded sacks that come with clothing, shoes, etc. Little ones about the size of a sugar packet for example will keep a box 6x6x6 inches quite dry for several months. At least help with condensation a lot.

I once used several small picnic coolers with handles for film. Pop some ice in them when out and about and the film once shot wouldn't degrade as much before processing. Just pulled out the amount I thought I needed for the next hour or two of shooting to let it warm up a bit and then it went back in the cooler.

Do make a note of when you buy the film so as to not get it mixed up with older/newer product. Shelf life can be a factor with certain emulsions. Even today film is clearly labeled as to expiration date on the original containers but less frequently on the rolls, cartridges, or sheets. Sheet film if you buy a whole 'package' comes in a nice storage box as well as the instant load pack container from Fuji.

I don't think today you are going to find a lot of new film storage products. Hope this helps somewhat.
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Thread Information