Film Cameras and Photography Forum

Film Photography Forum Discuss film photography techniques, including darkroom, film types, film cameras, filters, etc. - forum moderator is Xia-Ke.
Read and Write Film Reviews >>
Read and Write 35mm SLR Reviews >>
Read and Write Rangefinder Camera Reviews >>
Read and Write Medium Format Camera Reviews >>
    drg

The $100 film project

Last year I only made probably half as many film photographs as I planned, and that was still a rather small number. With the various research several of us did into processing costs and types of film, I don't want to waste all that work!

This year I've started the $100 film project. Some rudimentary calculations indicate that if I make about 1 exposure a day in 35mm format, the film costs and developing (including machine prints if I get inspired) will run about $100 for C-41 film. Some of the B/W film I'll use will be slightly less, and slides will be slight more so it should about even out.

The subjects will vary, and the only thing I'm really trying to do at the moment is get a routine of taking that one or two film images a day. I do have a project that I'll write up details in my blog later called - What the Dog Saw. I always carry a camera when I'm out with the dog walking, and though there may not be daily entries, it will contribute to the total of a daily picture.

Really this may turn into two or three parallel daily projects, as one theme has emerged already. I've been averaging about three film exposures a day just for this so far in 2009.

I thought about using my Fuji 645 but it hasn't been working right and I've got it in the hands of my most trusted camera guy and he's baffled so far. MF with a HOLGA was another thought but for some things I didn't want a Holga type image. That and if I'm traveling 35mm is easier to deal with for several minor technical reasons.

Updates to follow sporadically!

Anybody else with specific Film shooting plans for 2009??
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Re: The $100 film project

That sounds like a really cool plan, drg.

I have no specific plans, but I certainly plan to continue to shoot film every now and then. I haven't done a lot of shooting lately (due to a combination of horrible whether and busy work/school schedules), but when I have the time, I love to shoot film. One idea I do have in mind is to shoot my Ricohflex using my off camera flash setup. I thought it would be cool to combine the antiquity of the TLR and the very modern off camera flash. (If you're wondering, yes, it had a hotshoe even back in 1956).

Anyway, other than that, I definitely plan to shoot a lot of Velvia on the Ricohflex during Spring. In fact, I noticed today the cherry trees are already just starting to bloom here...
    Brad

Canon: Rebel XTi, 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8 II, Promaster 19-35mm F/3.5-4.5, Peleng 8mm fisheye
    Lighting: Canon 430 EXII, Quantaray PZ-1 DSZ, Sunpak 333D, D-8P triggers
    120 Film: Ricohflex Diacord TLR, Firstflex TLR, Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2 folder
    35mm Film: Nikon Nikkormat FT2, 35mm F/2.8, 50mm F/1.4, 135mm F/2.8

My Blog
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/bradleymiller

Great idea. I have big plans for film this year - lots of Tri-X in the RZ. So far for Jan I've spent $42.00 for some color and B&W (C41) processing. As they say "use it or lose it".
    Cameron665

Mamiya RZ67, Zeiss Ikon Nettar, Voigtlander Bessa 66
    Olympus OM1 x2, OM4 x2, OM10
    Voigtlander Vito B, Kiev 4am, Zero Image pinhole
    Pentax K20D

Sounds good drg. Will be looking forward to see some shots and hearing how your film goals progress.

For myself, I'll be making the move to a 4x5 field camera for the majority of my shooting. The only handholdable cameras I have left are 35mm or my Holga. Think I may have to track down a nice 6x6 or 6x9 Zeiss folder for carry around use. Will me interesting to see how the dramatic change in workflow for me changes my shooting.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

GB1

DRG - I like your idea.. I also feel an attraction to film and don't want to lose it. A project seems like a good idea.

I'm now wondering what it would be like to go to a location like a spectacular Utah park w/ nothing but my film cameras. No eying what I have back at the hotel or campsite, just relying on my experience and knowledge. And I wonder what the results would be like?

Guess I need to plan and do it!

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

You've been shooting long enough now G, I'm sure you would have some great results. Start planning! I want to see some shots
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

I like your idea, drg. I've been thinking about the ole' Rebel SLR and wondering if I've acquired enough know-how from my XT to actually shoot without chimping LOL.

Since I don't expect to shoot that much film (and it will be the prepaid multi-pack variety if I do), my biggest concern was the cost of scanning prints to CD. How does that factor into your budget?

Ta,

Quote Originally Posted by Cathathome
    ...I've been thinking about the ole' Rebel SLR and wondering if I've acquired enough know-how from my XT...
    Well, I can tell you this, whatever bad habits you've picked up shooting digi will be quickly corrected when shooting film. As an exercise, with your first couple rolls of film, take a notes on your shots. Jot down a scene description, lighting, camera settings, etc. When you get the film back, compare the film results to your notes and you will see where any corrections, if needed, are to be made. For scanning, I would just invest in your own scanner. There are plenty of them out there in the $100 - $200 range that will do a nice job. If you get a really nice shot, you can always send that particular negative in for a drum scan if needed.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

drg

Well there's more developed film ready to start scanning! I've two more rolls sitting waiting for a bit of time to get done.

I hope some other will 'join' the fun. There's a photo or two about ready to post!

more soon and watch the blog for some of the details of 'What the Dog Saw' that has several photos ready to go too!

Happy Filming
    CDPrice 'drg'

I'd be happy to join in drg, though I know I will end up going well over $100 in film...LOL Film and chems should be arriving from Freestyle on Thursday. Unfortunately my scanner won't do 4x5 negs but, will post some shots once I get some contact prints made :thumbsup:
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

Well, I'll jump in. Dunno if I'll spend at or over $100 on it, but I picked up a Pentax 67, 20ish rolls of film, and some B&W and E6 chemistry. Hopefully I'll be able to get the old darkroom here up and running soon.
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

Quote Originally Posted by Xia_Ke
    Well, I can tell you this, whatever bad habits you've picked up shooting digi will be quickly corrected when shooting film. As an exercise, with your first couple rolls of film, take a notes on your shots. Jot down a scene description, lighting, camera settings, etc. When you get the film back, compare the film results to your notes and you will see where any corrections, if needed, are to be made. For scanning, I would just invest in your own scanner. There are plenty of them out there in the $100 - $200 range that will do a nice job. If you get a really nice shot, you can always send that particular negative in for a drum scan if needed.
    Good tips!

I recently had a discussion with another photog about slowing down and not taking so many shots at a time. I think spending more time planning the shot before pressing the shutter on might be one of those habits I'll need to work on.

I took some shots this weekend, but "cheated" by using the XT first to get a feel for the lighting/settings needed. I'm not much of a note taker, so we'll pretend this is as good. Plus, using the dslr might adequately feed my need for instant gratification ;)

I had the 20-40mm on the rebel and will be curious to see how different the shots will be with this lens on film. Everything looked great thru the viewfinder!

For the time being, I'm just going to scan any reasonable prints with my all in one printer, or have the shop scan the negs to disk if I really think it's worth it. Eventually I'll look into something more sophisticated, if I feel I'm producing enough keepers.

Cheers,

drg

I like your idea, drg. I've been thinking about the ole' Rebel SLR and wondering if I've acquired enough know-how from my XT to actually shoot without chimping LOL.

Since I don't expect to shoot that much film (and it will be the prepaid multi-pack variety if I do), my biggest concern was the cost of scanning prints to CD. How does that factor into your budget?

Ta,
    You're gonna' chimp, trust me. I have even been know to mutter under my breath about my own 'bad habit'. For me it goes away pretty quick when 'switching' back and forth. After I have been shooting only digital for a while, and I get out a 35mm SLR, it does happen.

The worst thing recently was for a few days using a P/S 35mm (Olympus Stylus EPIC) and then trying to look at the back for a LCD screen to 'frame' the shot.

This is part of the reason I'm doing this is to 'keep the skills' sharp. I'm much better now.

Aarons suggestions about taking notes is almost required to get the hang of film and a particular camera. Also considered using a voice recorder to keep track of exposure (shutter, aperture), location, direction you are facing (E,W, N, S), time of day, etc. I started that several years ago and for me almost like it better. I then can record in my notebook the information. Not having to pause between each shot may be important in some situations.
    CDPrice 'drg'

drg, what are you using for a voice recorder? I've been thinking about getting one as the pack is getting heavier and fuller all the time...LOL

Oh Cath, another thing that will teach you A LOT about photography? A one degree spot meter! Shoot with one for a while and you will truly learn to understand lighting and exposure. You can practice with your digi as I'm sure it probably has a spot meter funtion.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

drg, what are you using for a voice recorder? I've been thinking about getting one as the pack is getting heavier and fuller all the time...LOL

Oh Cath, another thing that will teach you A LOT about photography? A one degree spot meter! Shoot with one for a while and you will truly learn to understand lighting and exposure. You can practice with your digi as I'm sure it probably has a spot meter funtion.
    I often use the spot meter, or at least the XT's version of it, to assess my exposure settings. (I'll poInt the camera at a mid range colour/tone and hit the exposure lock button on the camera) Haven't properly figured out how to compensate between shutter speed and aperture though.

What is a one degree spot meter, anyway? I've looked at getting a light meter, but have been reluctant to invest in something I might not use enough to justify as a hobby "expense".

Did I mention this thread rocks? It's got me thinking about image making in a new way

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

I've been using an older Sekonic with both ambient and spot that my assistant photo ed. found in the university's equipment locker. It's really neat to use the spot function- you slide open a little thing and you look through it and a crosshairs shows you where it's metering. Great for when I'm trying for tricky exposure with the 67.
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

I often use the spot meter, or at least the XT's version of it, to assess my exposure settings. (I'll poInt the camera at a mid range colour/tone and hit the exposure lock button on the camera) Haven't properly figured out how to compensate between shutter speed and aperture though.

What is a one degree spot meter, anyway? I've looked at getting a light meter, but have been reluctant to invest in something I might not use enough to justify as a hobby "expense".

Did I mention this thread rocks? It's got me thinking about image making in a new way
    Hmmm, we might be best to start another thread on metering. Basically spot meters come in different areas of coverage. Depending on the meter, could be anywhere from 1 - 10 degrees of coverage. A 1 degree, with the smallest amount of coverage, allows for detailed metering. If you would like to discuss metering or shooting tips, etc I would be happy to but, please start a new thread as I'm afraid we're getting a bit off topic from drg originals idea.

Aaron
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

drg

Here we are on the 78th day of the year and I've got over 200 film images already! I'm certainly living up to a shot a day.

Now I don't have quite all of them scanned in the desired final form. There's three rolls left to finish of that already processed.

One issue that I had thought about and need to allow for is that the film is going to be in the camera for some time. Thus I've gone back to making notes, usually on/in the desk calendar for anything not self explanatory.

These images are also becoming exercises in post processing too. One facet of this 'daily' work I'm going to present as a montage/collage or something along that line in a series of collections. Not quite sure that form.

Meanwhile an afternoon entry we'll just call "Hail the Arches". Converted from color C-41.

CDPrice 'drg'

Hmmm, we might be best to start another thread on metering. Basically spot meters come in different areas of coverage. Depending on the meter, could be anywhere from 1 - 10 degrees of coverage. A 1 degree, with the smallest amount of coverage, allows for detailed metering. If you would like to discuss metering or shooting tips, etc I would be happy to but, please start a new thread as I'm afraid we're getting a bit off topic from drg originals idea.

Aaron
    Sounds good, thanks for the note Aaron.

drg

Talking A Sporadic Update

The $100 film project is on track, if a little over budget as of the end of April 2009.

I had to purchase some batteries, Lithium 123's, for a camera that is being used. Over the year it will average out but at the moment the first four months cost about $42. Not bad and I'm shooting two or three frames a day.

There's the What the Dog Saw project included with this too. More on that in the blog entries later.

Meanwhile, here's an example from the film work. Used one of the Olympus P/S with the 2.8 lens for this on Fuji Pro 400 film.

There is also some post-processing that I did with a 'tool' I plan on posting about separately!

Happy filming!

CDPrice 'drg'

Thread Information