Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>
    RiseUp58

Will MiniDVs Video cameras be obsolete soon?

I currently have a Sony Handycam Camcorder, 40GB harddrive but seek to upgrade to a more professional, prosumer model..
    My confusion and concern as I know many have is what type to purchase.
    It appears miniDV produces the better video quaility in th elong run and minimizes losing frames, and lost quaility from Compression and such...

What I am concerned about, since my current opportunity to make this investment is not often afforded me, I seek to make this count.
    Will the MiniDV be soon an outdated model? I hear that many prefer this model, but the "tech Trap" as it is, seems to keep moving and changing and never ending.
    I seems from what I have been learning is that many prefer the qyuaility of miniDV but is that reason enough to purchase one if they willbecome obsolete?
    thnaks for your help. Also what about SD card models, are they a better way to go?

Re: Will MiniDVs Video cameras be obsolete soon?

it is about workflow. with bigger / faster hard drives and newer file formats / codecs the compression issues with hard drive cameras aren't as big a problem as they used to be. Having said that almost all of the professional cameras still use tapes. Mini DV is probably on the way out but the tapes will be around for well beyond the life of your camera. I suggest you go to a good camera shop and see what models suit your budget. You might find that with mini dv the camera will be cheaper (allowing you to get a better model) but you should also be aware that there are other broadcast digital video tape formats such as dvcam, dvc-pro and digi beta. all of these will be around for a long long time yet.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

RiseUp58

SkyCam, thanks for that support. it does help. I am at a standstill though, I have about 2300.00 to work with, and want to make the right decison, but it is a tough one.
    Can I ask you for further clarity?
    is dvcam, dvc-pro, or digi beta, and better then Minidv? or just a prefrence matter?

dvc pro is a larger version of mini dv, so mini dv tapes will often work in a dvc pro camera / tape deck either natively or with an adapter case much like vhs-c tapes go into a holder and then your vcr. the advantage is that the longer tape give more recording time. dvcam and digi beta are higher quality formats more for broadcast cameras. I doubt you would get one in your budget. Incidentally I would be looking to how you plan to use the camera more than what format it uses. often it is the controls on the camera and or the layout of it are more important, especially when filming in challenging lighting etc, you need to be able to quickly access and change the correct settings. head to your local video camera retailer and have a play with as many different cameras in your budget as they will let you! also how are you likely to output your video? do you really need hi definition etc.

RiseUp58

well thanks again Sky Cam. My goals are to do conferences and speakers as well as teaching sessions, mostly stationary lecturers...which I believe will be less challenging, and I believe I can set up some additional lighting, but I also plan to progress to weddings eventually after some training...
    I really do appreciate your sharing so freely. I am not at all skilled in video, and just starting out.
    So much to learn it is a bit intimidating!! thanks again..
    well another question please....
    I have purchased Pinnacle Studio Ultimate... Do you know much about this video equipment as it has hardware and software..

Ok so the main things you need to look for are the abilitiy to plug in an external microphone (with manual control over audio gain - so you can make sure the volume is just right) 3ccd's so you can make sure the bride's dress is white (you will need to learn to manually white balance as well) a lens with a wide aperture so you can work in challenging lighting conditions and an easy to use manual zoom and focus so you don't have to go fishing through menus to tweak your shots. oh and I would save some money for a good tripod and a mic if you can spare it. I haven't edited using pinnacle ultimate but from what I read it is a really nice editing package and a great one for jumping from home user type editing such as movie maker or imovie to broadcast applications such as final cut pro and premier pro and avid, not to mention the hardware render engine that makes working with large files a lot easier on your pc!

Thread Information