Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Panasonic NV-GS120 - 720 x 576 or 1024 x 576

I’ve been offered to buy a camera, it’s a Panasonic NV-GS120 and it can do 1024 x 576 widescreen video but I think it’s only a 720 x 576.

Firstly we were told to make our shots 1024 x 576 to be used as PAL standard resolution (WIDESCREEN) but when i look at this chart I don’t see anything regarding 1024 x 576 in relation to Cinema / Video resolutions.

See here > http://www.videotechnology.com/0904/formats.html

All my shots are 1024 x 576, am I missing something here ?

I have tried using the firewire cable and capturing the video off the camera (it takes mini DV) and it imports as DV-PAL so it seems to me that it can’t handle 1024 x 576, as per this search i did on it.

http://www.itreviews.co.uk/hardware/h670.htm - have a quick look if you can, specifically at “The PAL TV standard has a fixed resolution of 720 x 576 pixels, so increasing the size of the CCD doesn't do much to improve video quality, “

Any Ideas ?

Re: Panasonic NV-GS120 - 720 x 576 or 1024 x 576

I am not sure but I think your camera is letterboxing. this means it records using the dv pal standard (720X576) and puts a black bar at the top and bottom of the frame so when it plays back it looks like widescreen. I take it your film school told you to make your shots 1024x576? what do they use to edit with, you should be able to bump your footage up in the edit suit.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Thread Information