Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

What Video Camera? ~ HELP! Plz :)

I am needing to purchase a digital video camera and have no idea what I need. I will be shooting horses jumping fences, horses being ridden etc. along with general family content and then needing to upload onto the computer. A lot of the horse video will be inside a lighted ring and sometimes the lighting is not that great. I would like something that is relatively user friendly and with some quality at the same time. I am thinking I need some sort of 'stabilization' ability?? I know NOTHING per say so any and all help is much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Re: What Video Camera? ~ HELP! Plz :)

Anybody??? Sure would appreciate some help. Thanks!
    I thought I should add: I don't need the top of the line, but something in the middle somewhere, would be just fine. Thank you again.

Re: What Video Camera? ~ HELP! Plz :)

Well, a price range is the first place to start. After that I would think that lens quality is of utmost importance with low lighting and fast moving subjects. Not all videocams allow you to set shutter speed manually (a nice feature in low lighting).

My advice is to visit a real camera store (not a department store or mass market electronics retailer) and talk to someone in person. Someone who knows the technology and knows video. You may pay a little more than at a discount store, but being able to go back to the small shop and pick their brains when you need to more than makes up for it.

Especially when you are just starting out!

Thread Information