Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

What camcorder should I get?

I have an Canon Optura 20 that I bought about a year ago at Best Buy. It decided to stop working yesterday and eat a couple of DV tapes. Luckily, I bought the Best Buy service plan. I think what is going to happen is that they will exchange it for a camera of the same price. So.... what they have available is (on the web) The Optura 50 ($100 more), and the Elura 90.

What do you suggest i get? Should I drop Canon and go w/ another brand? (i'm in the $699 price range).

Thanks for help!

-B

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Re: What camcorder should I get?

Have you been happy with the Optura so far? Your problem is only the second that I've heard of with this line. The first was when an errant golf ball nailed the viewfinder of an Optura during a golf lesson. The Elura has a smaller chip with less resolution, given any further proof of product line hassles, I'd probably stick with the Optura for the better overall resolution.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Have you been happy with the Optura so far?

yeah.. pretty much. my only complaint would be the night time shooting or really low light levels.... it doesn't do so hot with very little light.

Your problem is only the second that I've heard of with this line. The first was when an errant golf ball nailed the viewfinder of an Optura during a golf lesson. The Elura has a smaller chip with less resolution, given any further proof of product line hassles, I'd probably stick with the Optura for the better overall resolution.

Cool.. that's what I was wanting to hear. Someone did recommend that I check out the Panasonic GS150 or GS250. What do you think?

-B

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

They both have pretty good numbers, unfortunately I can't comment on what I haveen't shot yet. They are boty 3 chip cameras with 1/6 in chips. You almost always get much better color depth with the three chip set up. It even has a mic input. Try to find a demo camera at your favorite shop that you can slip a tape into and then check on yuour favorite computer or monitorWe have had some great reports on other panasonic products though.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Thread Information