Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Which Video Camera--- recommend?

Hi,

I am in the market for a video camera for my family. Specifically, we want to buy it for our Europe trip in the summer, but we will certainly use it for other events after that trip (not on a day to day or week to week basis, but whenever there are those occasions worth getting on camera). Anyways, I have done some research, adn will continue to do some research but I would like some people's opinions... And I have a "scenario" or "perspective" for you guys to be able to see my point from...

I don't know how many of you are in digital photogrpahy, but any of you who are will know what I am talking about when I say "Coolpix 5600" or later... The camera (more at its release than now, but even still) was the perfect camera for any family looking for excellent quality, ease of use, and reliability. I myself have a 4600 and 5600 and am extremely ahppy with them to today, and have read up on them only to find out htey are considered one of the most reliable and popular of cameras, for the type of class it is marketed for............................................. Does anyone see where I am going with this? This is the type of Video camera I am looking for today. I am in the market for something that will not cost me far more than the average camera out there, but is up-to-date technology, has all of the features needed, and will keep me happy for years to come.

I purchased, back in 2002, a digital camera that was under a mega-pixel in quality, didnt have a screen, rechargeable batteries or anything else... It's only good feature today is that it doubled as a webcam, but even that is put off because it doesn't have Windows XP drivers, and has been erased from its manufacturer's website (D-Link) COMPLETELY (with the exception of 1 Help page which is outdated, and extremely difficult to find). I certainly don't want this type of video camera.

I'm sure many of you can see where I am coming from with all of this. so I ask of you "professionals" shall we say, what would you recommend for me?

Thanks for your help!

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Re: Which Video Camera--- recommend?

A couple of questions for your first. I see that you like the quality of the P&S. How often do you take the camera off of full auto? Do you ever use any of the program modes? Once you shoot the video, will you have the time and interest to upload to the computer and edit or do you just want to watch everything as is? Do you own any HD televisions or is everything SD or standard definition? Digital is the way to go, answering the above will help us steer you in the right direction.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Although our computer has the processor (FAR beyond required capabilities) to video edit, I doubt I will ever go as far as Adobe Premiere to edit video. The most that I will ever want to do with the video is upload, and maybe piece it together with Windows Movie Maker.... That's it. Speed of upload wouldn't really matter here.

On the P&S, I do do camera editing (I realize thaat that question was more or less pointless, and that your main point was whether I would do it with video but... I felt like answering anyways.) I use CS2 and get into heavy photo editing.... As you may have been able to figure out, a camcorder with the ability to take still images would be pointless and overkill of which I don't want to pay for.

OHH! and about SD... (I didn't see that question first time). We do have HD TV's, but HD capabilities are not my top priority personally... I have lived, and am perfectly happy with SD, especially for the extra cost of HD.... Just a personal preference

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

If you don't mind the editing, I'd suggest a MiniDV cam from one of the majors, Sony, Panasonic or Canon. Just make sure it has a firewire cable connection on it and your computer. I prefer the MiniDV over the DVD cam and HD cam for the time being because of the better quality. The chips are pretty much the same, the MiniDV isn't compressed as much as the Mpeg-2 DVD and HD cams. Look for one in your price and size range, get an extended battery for the trip and don't forget appropriate adapters for your power supply. You won't be able to hook the cam to any European TV's because of the different standards, so get one with the biggest screen, while not exceeding your cost and size restraints.

Good luck and have a great trip.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Thanks. I needed that "recorder media" confirmation... And, I don't mean to continue nagging , but I am sort of looking for some specifics. Which cameras would meet the qualities we have discussed here?

-standard definition
    -DV or MiniDV (either one will do, I know they are pretty much the same except MiniDV
    -recorders can play old 8mm too, but that dosn't matter to me)
    not 100% manual (kind of like a point and shot camera, but providing some manual control to it for when we become more comfortable with it)
    -firewire, USB, I've gotthem all on my computer... doesn't matter which one
    -little editability really required... Windows Movie Maker is about it.
    -audio (front mounted I've heard is best)
    -some sort of light for shooting in the darker areas.

I know that doesn't narrow it down to much, but perhaps you guys could narrow it down to maybe.. 10 cameras that fall within these parameters listed above, listing the ones that are considered the best overall... There has to be some camera that is considered God.. sticks out above all with simple parameters in this...

Cost: preferably less than $1000.... I don't want to spend more than $1000 total (if I get a new battery).

just so you know, and don't think I'm taking advantage of you: All I'm really looking for is a list of cameras (around 10 is fine) that fit my parameters, and are considered on top to the majorities preference, then I will do the narrowing down myself--- comparing them all myself. I don't expect oyu guys to be able to narrow it down to ONE for me... Just so you know...

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Good Morning again,

For openers, MiniDV is the name for the samller cassette, DV format, the one that plays back the old Hi8 and 8mm is called Digital 8. Go ahead and cut and paste link into your browser, it will take you to the camcorder page at B&H Photo/video out of New York. They aren't the know all, end all place for equipment, but it's where I shop. We are more than happy to help clear the air on questions, and make suggestions to get you pointed in the right direction, but it is up to you to narrow down your field based on your budget and what you want to do.

Good luck with your decision.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...17&Submit.y=11
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

I am reading up on the Canon and Sony Cameras (bigger brands as I was recomendded to) and found that some Sony Cameras (DCRHC48 for example) dont have built-in lights, but rather, a feature known as Super NightShot. I would like to see an example of what this produces, but having colour in your infrared images sounds good... If the quality is good, I'd certainly settle for a feature on Canon (or the super Nightshot itself) that does the same thing. Can anyone give me info on this?

Throw that in to the list of features, and say under $1000, can you narrow the list down for me now? Since I don't know the equivalent, or know the quality of the Super Nightshot on other cameras, I can't do this myself.

Thanks!

Ok... based on what I have learned from you guys, and what I've been reading, I'll help narrow it down a LOT..

It must be/have:
    -MiniDV media
    -a microphone (either built-in or attachable)
    -lighting (either a really good IR system, or attached light. Built-in or attachable)
    -standard defenition recorder

Preferable features (but not absolutly required):
    -more than 10x Optical zoom (even 12 would do... remember, THIS list is not required, just preferred)

After you provide me with some names of camcorders that follow these features, I will check out the reviews on them... That's how I will make my decision.

Hope to here from you soon! Thanks.

We just bought Sony DCR-HC 96 and we love it. It is easy to use. The problem we cannot share the result directly so we have to convert to DVD first. We use DVD recorder because it is the easiest for us.
    Many of our friends say Canon has better manual setting but we pick Sony because we need the easiest one.
    The one that we do not like from our Sony camcorder, we cannot buy third party battery. We have to buy SOny battery that the price is very very expensive and we have no choice. Also it looks we have to buy Sony brand name for accessories too. But we do not know yet.

dhany

Thread Information