Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Video Business Related....

I didn't place this in the Photo Business forum since it wasn't 'photo' related.

I was at a fancy birthday party on Saturday and the videographer showed up. I asked the my friend mow much was he charging. She said $100 per hour to shoot 2 hours of the event, edit, and give back a few DVDs.

I was thinking to myself that $100 per hour is great but then I asked myself how long would it take him to edit the footage and make the DVDs for the client.

How much money can you estimate he is making per hour?

He was using a Panasonic 3CCD with the Leica lens and brought a tripod. He used no external mic, lighting, or camera support.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Re: Video Business Related....

It depends on how much the camera cost and how long he is figuring to pay it off. Cost of gear divided by how many months to pay for itself can give you you're monthly equipment cost. How much editing is he doing and on what platform? That will figure into time and equipment cost also. How long a DVD does he deliver? You can figure roughly 15 - 20 minutes of edit time for every 1 minute of finished edit master. This time isn not set in concrete, jus a number I use for Job estimation. These factors help to figure out your total cost and or profit margin. $100 an hour is about average for a low end job in Miami.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Re: Video Business Related....

Interesting Michael. Thanks.

He told my friend he is more editor than a video person. He only does this on the side. He only shot for 2 hours and if he is highly efficient in editing then.....hmmmmm...I wouldn't do it for $200.....unless I was starting out. Oh yeah, I am starting out....then I would do a few jobs like this....but not for long.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Thread Information