Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>
    Member Intrepid Berkeley Explorer's Avatar

Travel to Bali and Java (Indonesia) On Line (Video + Stills)

My film "Gamelan, Garuda & Ganesh" can be seen on the web, if you have a high speed internet connection.

This Bali and Java (Indonesia) video features Balinese dance, music, masks, shadow puppets, a cremation ceremony, Java’s Buddhist & Hindu World Heritage Sites, the Ramayana Ballet, and much more, including digital effects.

This is a free, non-commercial, streaming video on the Windows Media Player. No ads and no strings attached. I sell absolutely nothing.

My video site is:

http://intrepidberkeleyexplorer.com/Video.html

The Bali and Java still photo gallery can be viewed with any modem at:

http://intrepidberkeleyexplorer.com/Page21.html

There are over 30 of my other free, amateur travel videos on-line covering all seven continents. Visit Italy, Japan, England, Antarctica, Peru, Hawaii, China, Russia, Mayan Temples, Greece, or Turkey; see whales, penguins, or polar bears.

The planet is yours, including my Home Page giant galaxy of still pictures at:

http://intrepidberkeleyexplorer.com/

The Intrepid Berkeley Explorer
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Travel to Bali and Java (Indonesia) On Line (Video + Stills)-dance-group.jpg   Travel to Bali and Java (Indonesia) On Line (Video + Stills)-pramadan-wider.jpg  

Re: Travel to Bali and Java (Indonesia) On Line (Video + Stills)

I noticed that these still images date from 2002, so I am not sure why you are posting them. are you after a critique or just trying to increase traffic to your site? I have watched several of your films before and really feel that if you used a tripod more and paid more attention to editing such as using muliple shots or angles rather than the one long sequence they could be a lot more watchable. Your choices of background music typically don't add a lot to the films and the commentry could do with some scripting. As they stand I feel like I am being forced to watch home movies of someone elses holiday. As you would understand this becomes very boring after about one minute. I really feel that you need to start thinking about your end result whilst you are shooting. ask yourself are people going to be interested in the one drawn out shot or should I hit pause and try another vantage point. With carefull editing 5 seconds of a dance scene is often enough to tell the story and it will stop your viewers loosing interest.

Having said all of that I do appreciate the fact that you are sharing your travels, I just wish you would spend a little effort improving your techniques as the result could be amazing.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Well said, Skyman.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Member Intrepid Berkeley Explorer's Avatar

Skyman,

Everything is from 2002, when this trip took place. If stills can be uploaded, they provide examples of what is in the film.

I have tried very hard over the years to become a better video editor. Starting out in 1990 my earliest travel videos were stepping stones to learning how narration and music can be added; also the advantage of brevity. For the first decade I edited from Hi8 to an S-VHS VCR.

Going digital in 2002, this film was the first to be shot in Digital8 and edited on my (then)
    new computer. It was the best I can do, never claiming to be a professional. 38 of my efforts are currently on line.

You are unaware of all the trouble I've had trying to film dances in many countries. What's routine is fighting off people who may be waiters or have some other connection with the venue, ordering me to stop using the camcorder, even when permission was granted.

So I have resorted to being inconspicuous. That means no attempt with a tripod and no moving around for shots from different angles. If I can find a safe, decent location, free from people blocking me, then I film from that spot and hope to be ignored. Unlike a professional, virtually nothing is ever within my control. I'm lucky just to get decent video of the dancers, whose movements are often unpredictable.

This tour of Bali and Java focused upon art forms, especially a variety of dances. I would hope that viewers have an interest in Balinese dance, which is severely edited down to the best segments. The film lasts 37 minutes, shorter than any performance and most meals.

I believe my travel videos exist in a middle ground between home movies and what pros can do. You disagree. However, it was inferior home movies by others of trips to China and the Soviet Union which originally motivated me to try for something better.

The only scorecard I have is a tracker of viewers for each video. This film, "Gamealan, Garuda and Ganesh", is in 5th place, with nearly 21,000 views. I consider it to be popular.

Certainly I can always try to improve my technique, as is evident in later films. There were some tricks with computer editing I didn't learn about until tipped off by helpful comments.

My hobby may never meet your high standards, but I appreciate the opportunity to post on this forum.

Dave
    The Intrepid Berkeley Explorer

Hi,
    do you have more pictures? Can you show? I think India is a huge source of inspiration and there must be tons of places and objects to take a pic of, at least according to hundreds of Insta travel blogs .

These are very beautiful islands and I think the rest will be excellent there. Last year I rested in the Seychelles Seychelles Hotel Deals It was a fairy tale. It has everything to feel like in paradise.

Seychelles resorts are known for its paradise setting and popular among island travelers all over the world. Savoy Seychelles, being one of the most distinguished Mahe resorts, offers many carefully considered facilities to ensure our guests have a comfortable and convenient stay and our impeccably trained team is multi-lingual and can provide you with a friendly at-mosphere and personalized service.

Nice! Really nice

Are you a yoga fan? Then you should know the importance of professional accessories for successful training. And I am sure you have the correct yoga outfit and mat as proper training is impossible without these items. But it is not enough. You should also have an appropriate bag to efficiently pack these things. I have bought a special bag StartMyHobbyTrip, and it is above my expectations.

Thread Information