Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Transfering Digital Video To Pc

Hi
    I hope some one can help me with this. I have a Sony DCR-TRV510E digital video camera, a Compaqu Presario pc running Windows xp and Dazzle movie star 5 software. All I want to do is down load video from my video camera to my pc, I have plugged the grey serial port cable that came with the camera into the pc but cannot use the controls on the software to (or on the camera) to start the download. Do I need the i link cable to do this (I have a fire wire port on my pc). If so can anyone reccomend an aftermarket lead or do I need the Sony i link cable?

Hope someone can help

Thank's

Colin.

Re: Transfering Digital Video To Pc

unfortunately you need to use the firewire port. Most video cameras aren't set up to do it any other way (unless they are hard drive or solid state cameras) i link is just a sony brand of firewire. Any firewire cable will do. The only thing you need to check is that you have the correct fitting cable. Most cameras use the mini or 4 pin firewire port. Some computers use this but some also use the standard or 6pin firewire port. Either way you can buy cables that are 4-4pin 6-6pin or 4-6 so as long as you get the right one brand etc doesn't matter. Don't let the salesman sell you the more expensive one. There isn't a differance.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Re: Transfering Digital Video To Pc

Hi Skyman

Thank's that's great ! Hopefully i'll be able to get one tomorrow from Maplins etc.

Cheers

Colin

Thread Information