Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Sound inputs into Panasonic NV-GS150

I'm more of a sound person and I have recently purchaced a Panasonic 3CCD NV-GS150 and want to use my various sound equipment such as amps and mixers to put the final output into the stero mini-jack sound input provided on the camera.

When I do this, the camera plays back with incredible distortion. Can anyone tell me why this happens and how I could get around this???

Any help would be appreciated.

Thankyou.

jbrereton3.

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Re: Sound inputs into Panasonic NV-GS150

If you are coming off a mixer into the mic input on the camera you probably have you levels wrong. What mixer are you using? Can it be set for MIC level out? You are probably outputting at LINE level which is much hotter or stronger than MIC level. Check your camera manual, maybe it will let you set the level between MIC and LINE. Choose MIC for a microphone and LINE for a mixer or any other audio device that is not a microphone such as an IPOD, CD player, etc. If you can't adjust the levels on either side, go to radio shack and ask if they have a LINE to MIC level matching transformer. I don't know if they still have it but it had a female RCA on one end and a male Mini plug on the other.

Good luck.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Okay, I was using a line out of the mixer which can't be changed and the camera dosen't hae any audio settings really...

You mentioned the iPod so I got that out and played it through the camera...Only at a certain level does it not distort but there is a heap of hissing in the background which detracts from the quality...

I'm guessing that the camera is acctually outputting current for a microphone and casing the hissing... If this is the case I'm wondering if its worth getting the line-mic transformer becasue it will probably still have poor quality.

Thanks for the insight anyway.

jbrereton3

Quote Originally Posted by jbrereton3
    Okay, I was using a line out of the mixer which can't be changed and the camera dosen't hae any audio settings really...

You mentioned the iPod so I got that out and played it through the camera...Only at a certain level does it not distort but there is a heap of hissing in the background which detracts from the quality...

I'm guessing that the camera is acctually outputting current for a microphone and casing the hissing... If this is the case I'm wondering if its worth getting the line-mic transformer becasue it will probably still have poor quality.

Thanks for the insight anyway.

jbrereton3
    you are going to need to put a gate or limiter on the line. how important is stereo for you? you can get an xlr to stereo mini lead so a normal gate will fit on the xlr side however this lead won't give you stereo but dual mono (i.e. the same track panned left and right) if you are handy with electronics it shouldn't be to hard to make a limiter that will go on the stereo mini line but i know of none that are comercially available, actually i will get round to building one of these myself one day. for high spl events the senheiser me66 i use is way to sensitive

Thread Information