Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

software recommendations

I have a JVC gz-mg20 digital video camera that does not have the software that comes with the camera(ebay item). I am simply shooting home movies and such, and am just looking for software that I can use with my camera. I would like to Burn to dvds and have the ability to edit my movies. I'm not very computer savy, and reviews of the product have said that the camera does not work well with software due to the fact that it records the files in .MOV format. I have downloaded several Free video editing software and had difficulty with the software reading the files on each. is there any other software I can use that will accept the >MOV format, or is there a way to get around it?

Re: software recommendations

it sounds like the best option for you is to get the software you need from JVC's website. some editing software such as adobe premier can handle video formats other than avi files so that would be an option for you, however other than i movie i don't think any of the free applications (namely windows movie maker) offer support for .mov files. at the moment this is the main reason to stear clear of memory card based video cameras as opposed to tape based cameras (and that tape based cameras record higher quality video)

Producer, Media Educator (Video Dude) kkolbo's Avatar

Re: software recommendations

Part of your problem is that the camcorder uses MPEG2 video compression and Dolby Digital Audio compression like a DVD. Free or trial software can not edit that because those formats require a fee to license the software at the manufacturer level. Trial versions have it disabled until you pay so that the software company can pay.

http://www2.cli.co.jp/products/everi..._eng/index.htm is the address of the site for the software that would have come with your camera. I have checked JVC's site and I do not see that software. You may have to call if you can not get it at the address above.
    Keith S. Kolbo
    Producer, Media Educator and Author
    Sony Vegas Certification Trainer

My forum participation is provided by Amvona.com
    My site is: www.amediaprof.com
    Amvona.com Profile and Blog

Thread Information