Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Shooting video with a still camera

When I am shooting personally rather than professionally, I tend to view things differently.
    When one has been trained and has experience in television production, one realizes how much planning and effort goes into a quality production from scripting to the edited video. The result is that one seldom wants to go to that level of work on a personal project. After all, you don't have a helpful production crew assisting you.

On a tourist trip, for example the ideal approach would seem to me to shoot mostly stills and combine it with the odd video segment such as para-sailing, bungee jumping etc. The easiest way to do it is with a compact camera that shoots stills as well as video to the length of the card. A still camera will also allow you to shoot video without anyone noticing, particularly with a swivel LCD screen.

My compact camera shoots 8 mp stills and does a great job with high resolution video up to 800 x 600 with sound and stabilization. Add titling, mix in stills with video in Adobe Premiere, play with a sound, editing and transitions and burn a DVD.

I find that I don't have any need for a personal separate Video camera.

Ronnoco

Re: Shooting video with a still camera

sorry for the delay in responding to this statement. I have in the past seemed to push the need for separate cameras on this forumn and i would be the first to admit that this is not the solution for everyone. I spend a lot of time at work editing still pictures into watchable video. for this reason i prefer to use video (motion) in preference to stills wherever i can, and my video camera is a very small (but still 3ccd with good lens) model. also i have over the years gotten used to carrying around an slr camera and several lenses and will happily lug around a backpack full of camera gear. I also tend not to shoot holiday movies unless i am making a documentary out of it. i am glad that you have posted in this forumn as it is easy to become stuck with your favourite ways of working and begin to loose site of the many options available.

Thread Information