Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>
    Tim

RED 25 MP DSLR with ultra high def video

Jim Jannard, founder of Oakely sunglasses runs a small company called RED that is famous for designing ultra high definition video cameras. Seem there about to release a DSLR that combines high res still with video (3k instead of the normal HD 1k). This is a teaser photo thats just been released of it apparently, will be interesting to see what it turns out like:

http://www.timaustinimages.com/p8736...70a2#h2ffd70a2

The camera is meant to be announced the start of next year and will possibly accept third party lenses (nikon, canon etc). See more info at:
    http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2008/09/re...red_one-2.html

What do people reckon, a viable alternitive to the big brands?

Re: RED 25 MP DSLR with ultra high def video

It is indeed a brave new world!

I suppose I will have to bite the bullet and go HD soon.

ps I noticed from your website you shoot a lot of motorsport. Do you have any plans to shoot the Bathurst 12 hour in february? if so I will most likely see you there.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: RED 25 MP DSLR with ultra high def video

Is that the RED Scarlet?
    Last hints I saw were 3K and fixed. But then it was all withdrawn from the web and they were now redesigning both Scarlet and Epic. Last report (before everything changed) was scarlet was about 4.5 lbs !
    RED have been big on announcements, but seem small on delivery.

Talked to someone who shot a feature with the current RED One 4K camera, to be shown digitally @ 30fps 4K and he's blown away by the quality.
    But at $15,000 body only that's hardly surprising !

He's off to make a short documentary in Afghanistan, so next time we meet up I'll ask how things went in harsher conditions.

Meanwhile, manufacturers who can actually ship product (rather then their hope to clear the backlog by Fall '09) might steal a march on them. Particularly since they are planning to give current RED One owners first stab at Scarlet.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Thread Information